MCP5606B JTAG reading

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCP5606B JTAG reading

danielflor
Contributor III

I'm using MPC5606B and I would like to know what kind of issues I would have, concerning protection\encryption if I tried to read its flash content by JTAG using an external device.

I was able to read the MPC's flash content using a tool (UPA) and a PC, however, I want to do it by my own, using my own embedded hardware without the PC's tool. So, I studied about JTAG standard( JTAG_IEEE-Std-1149.1-2001 ), and about TAP controller state diagram. In order to better understand the JTAG reading, I Used the PC's tool to read the MCP's flash and an osciloscope to see how the communication is performed between the tool and MCP5606B.

I could see that it enters in the TAP controller state machine, The tool writes IR ( 0b00011 )and after that reads DR ( 0x2AE4301D ) and there is a lot of more communication that I didn't recognize yet, but, I know that the readed value 0x2AE4301D is the IDCODE of JTAG's MCP5606BF.

After to study Chapter five of MPC5606's reference manual, I expected that the tool would send a 64-bits password, but I didn't found it in communication yet ( the time of communication is too big, almost 10s ).

So I was wondering, how is performed the reading of the flash memory content, and how it is related to Censorship at bootloader?

With my bests regards,

Daniel.

Tags (1)
1 Reply

petervlna
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

For building your JTAG tool you can follow application note AN4365:

https://cache.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN4365.pdf?fsrch=1&sr=6&pageNum=1 

Regarding censorship: the device is by default uncensored and censorship password is only requested by micro when it is enabled in advance. User has to program it first. But be careful as non-correct programing of censorship leads to brick micro. Check reference manual censorship chapter or ask for support if you are not sure.

Peter