Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is CAN FD available with MPC5748G, now?

Jump to solution
卓也志村
Contributor II

Hello.

Is CAN FD available with MPC5748G, now?

I want to use the communication with CAN FD.

I look MPC5748G's Information with the Freescale website,

there are MPC5748G's Ordering Information for the following (1)-(4).

(1)PPC5748GK1MMN6A

(2)PPC5748GK1MKU6A

(3)PPC5748GK1MMJ6A

(4)SPC5748GGK1MMJ6

If Optional fields are "F" or "B" with MPC5748G's Ordering Information(MPC5748G.pdf Page4), then CAN FD is available.

But, (1)-(4) do not have "F" or "B".

Labels (1)
1 Solution
lukaszadrapa
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

the most important point is that current version of CAN FD module is not compliant with the new ISO/CD 11898-1: 2014-12-11. See please errata below. The specification has been updated due to weakness in the error checking.

It will be fixed on the new silicon version of MPC5748G which should be available next year.

Regards,

Lukas

pastedImage_0.png

View solution in original post

10 Replies
robswindell
Contributor I

We have an application which combines older and newer parts (with and without the CAN-FD CRC fix). These parts are not communicating successfully with each other over CAN-FD - apparently due to this CRC fix.

Is there a "chicken bit" or other method of forcing a newer part (e.g. SPC5748GBMMJ6) to behave in the old manner with regards to CAN-FD CRC to remain compatible with older CAN-FD devices?

Thank you,

-Rob Swindell

0 Kudos
bdn
Contributor III

Hi,

are there any details available regarding the timeline for the updates?

Regards,

Bernhard

0 Kudos
lukaszadrapa
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

current plan is to have first samples in September 2016. Device should be qualified in January 2017.

Regards,

Lukas

amirhosseinniaz
Contributor I

Hi,

I want to start a new design with SPC5748GGK1MMJ6 to handle 6x CAN FD communication ports among other thing.

Can I use the current version of SPC5748G to have a prototype and debug the rest of my design and then replace it with ISO CAN FD compatible version without redesigning my board? and how can I order ISO compatible version? is there a different part number for it?

Regrads,

Amirhossein

0 Kudos
lukaszadrapa
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

yes, you can use current version to develop the rest of your application. Redesign will not be necessary, new version will be fully compatible.

The new mask set (0N78S) should be marked as K0A in the part number.

Regards,

Lukas

lukaszadrapa
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

the most important point is that current version of CAN FD module is not compliant with the new ISO/CD 11898-1: 2014-12-11. See please errata below. The specification has been updated due to weakness in the error checking.

It will be fixed on the new silicon version of MPC5748G which should be available next year.

Regards,

Lukas

pastedImage_0.png

alexvinchev
Contributor V

lukaszadrapa​, where we could take this errata document?

0 Kudos
lukaszadrapa
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

I can see that the errata sheet is still not published. I have asked about the release date - I will let you know later.

Lukas

卓也志村
Contributor II

Hello Lukas,

Thanks for your answer.

Does current MPC5748G chip have the old CAN FD module, that I can get?

Also, does other micro processor  have available CAN FD?

Regards,

Takuya

0 Kudos
lukaszadrapa
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

yes, there's old CAN FD module.

yes, the CAN FD is available also on other devices. But because the spec has changed relatively short time ago, the situation is the same. The CAN FD will be updated on MPC5746B/C/D, MPC5748C/G, MPC5777C.

Regards,

Lukas