cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to achieve the communication between MPC5746R and MPC5744P using Zipwire

齐齐张
Contributor I

Background:

We want to achieve the communication between MPC5746R(252Pins) and MPC5744P(257Pins) using Zipwire on our hardware, but the communication doesn't work well as we expected.

Hardware Configuration:

The power configuration of MPC5746R and MPC5744P and the LFAST connection between them are showed in Table1 and Fig.1 respectively. We use MPC5746R and MPC5744P as zipwire master and zipwire slave respectively.

Table1. The power configuration of MPC5746R and MPC5744P

Power Configuration

MPC5746R

MPC5744P

Pin

Power

Pin

Power

VDD_LV

1.25V

VDD_LV_CORE

1.25V

VDD_HV_IO_JTAG

3.3V

VDD_LV_PLL

VDD_HV_IO_FEC

VDD_HV_FLA0

VDD_HV_IO_MSC

5V

VDD_LV_LFAST

VDD_HV_PMC

VDD_LV_NEXUS

VDD_HV_ADV_SD

VDD_HV_PMU

3.3V

VDD_HV_ADV_SAR

VDD_HV_OSC0

VDD_HV_IO_MAIN

VDD_HV_IO

VDD_HV_ADV0/1

VDD_HV_ADR0

5V

VDD_HV_ADR1

1.png 

Fig. 1. The LFAST connection between MPC5746R and MPC5744P

Process:

The debugging process is as follows:

1.Software migration

We only find two examples about Zipwire called "zipwire_master_mpc5746r" and "zipwire_slave_mpc5746r" which are offered by S32 Design Studio. Hence, the example "zipwire_slave_mpc5746r" should be migrated into MPC5744P, the detailed migration process is as follows:

a)   Import a new example “hello_world_mpc5744p” in S32 Design Studio (Fig.2) and add some new components       (edma, interrupt_manager, clock_manager and osif, zipwire not available for MPC5744P) using SDK exactly         as "zipwire_slave_mpc5746r"(Fig.3) .

2.png

Fig. 2. “hello_world_mpc5744p” example in S32 Design Studio

3.png4.png

Fig. 3. "hello_world_mpc5744p" components (Left) and "zipwire_slave_mpc5746r" components (Right)

b)  Configure the five LFAST pins and enable the LFAST0_CLK and SIPI0_CLK using SDK, then generate                       processor expert code.

5.png

(a)

6.png

(b)

Fig. 4. The configuration of five LFAST pins (TX and RX in (a) and CLK in (b))

c) Copy all documents about zipwire (Fig.5) and mian.c from "zipwire_slave_mpc5746r" project into                                 “hello_world_mpc5744p” project.

7.png8.png

Fig. 5. The copied documents about zipwire from "zipwire_slave_mpc5746r" project

d) Correct all errors after building the modified “hello_world_mpc5744p” and modify the expression of SIPI register             and some interrupt vectors about SIPI, such as replacing "SIPI" with "SIPI_0", "SIPI0_IRQn" with                                      "SIPI_Read_1_IRQn", "SIPI1_IRQn" with "SIPI_Read_2_IRQn", etc.

2.We use the example "zipwire_master_mpc5746r" as zipwire master program and download it into MPC5746R            without any modification. As the programs show, in the stage of LFAST initialization of MPC5746R, the ICLC frame    can be sent successfully. There is an ICLC frame with the payload 0x31, which is captured by our oscilloscope, in      Fig. 5.

9.png

Fig. 5. An ICLC frame with the payload 0x31(the differential voltage between TXP and GND in Channel 1, the differential voltage between TXN and GND in Channel 2)

3.We use the modified example "hello_world_mpc5744p" as zipwire slave program and download it into                    MPC5744P, then check the waveform of LFAST reference clock sent by MPC5744P. As Fig.6 shows, the              frequency of the clock, which is set as 20MHz, looks normal, but the voltage amplitude of the clock signal isn’t        what we expected. The voltage range of the clock signal is from 1V to 3.3V.

10.png

Fig. 6. The waveform of LFAST reference clock

4.We connect MPC5746R with MPC5744P and check the running condition of two programs. Unfortunately, the            zipwire slave program in MPC5744P stops when waiting for TXEN bit to set through ICLC frame from master. In          order to make sure slave has every chance to set this bit, we modify the zipwire master program in MPC5746R to        make the ICLC frame with the payload 0x31 be sent continuously every 10us without collision, but the zipwire slave    program still stops in the same place.

11.png

Fig. 7. The description of TXEN bit of LFAST_MCR register

Pre-analysis:

According to the phenomenon in the debugging process, we perform the following analysis:

1.According to our power configuration (Table 1), we find that the IO power supply of two MCUs, namely                        VDD_HV_IO_MAIN in MPC5746R and VDD_HV_IO in MPC5744P, is different. It means that that the 3.3V high-          level voltage sent by MPC5744P may not be judged as high-level by MPC5746R. We wonder if this power                  configuration affects the normal SIPI communication.

2.As the above phenomenon shows, the voltage amplitude of the clock signal looks abnormal, we suspect that the        lowest voltage is around 0V. And we want to know whether it leads to the failed communication.

Up to now, we only find the two possible reasons and don’t know whether the communication can be achieved after solving them. It will be appreciated if someone can give us some suggestions about what should be checked next and how to deal with this problem.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

B46399
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

It's pretty hard to tell from here, but my main concern would be synchronizing the clock frequencies. Do you use XOSC divided by two for Panther to get 20MHz for LFAST?

I doubt the power domain should be the reason here, if the same clock is provided from CGM to LFAST on both nodes, the communication should work without the clock pin being used; other than this, I think the LFAST phy should take care of the differential signals on the line, the voltage levels should be fine I guess.

It would be more useful if you could provide your project so I can take a closer look. Nevertheless, please be aware that zipwire is not officially supported in the SDK for MPC5744P, so any hacks that will make the driver work should be regarded as demo code.

Regards,

Vlad

0 Kudos

齐齐张
Contributor I

Thank you very much for your fast reply.

I have attached my project in this updated post, there are still following questions need your confirmation.

1.We wonder if MPC574R and MPC5744P are truly capable to achieve the communication using zipwire.

2.According to the datasheets of two MCUs, we set VDD_HV_IO_MAIN in MPC5746R and VDD_HV_IO in MPC5744P    as 5.0V and 3.3V respectively, we are not sure if the different configurations will affect the zipwire communication.

3.The LFAST module of MPC5744P has its own power supply (VDD_LV_LFAST) with 1.25V, but we couldn’t find a          separate power supply of LFAST module in MPC5746R, are there some special power configurations of LFAST              module in MPC5746R need to be noted?

0 Kudos

martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

I contacted my colleague, who is responsible for Zipwire driver and ask him to provide you an answer here.

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos