Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Float to integer rounding on PowerPC

Jump to solution
EAlepins
Contributor V

Hi,

We've used "efsctsi" assembly instruction on MPC5xxx MCU and "fctiw" on MPC83xx PowerQUICC II Pro CPU (having SPEFSCR[FRMC] / FPSCR[RN] = 00 (round to nearest)) and we were surprised of the result. We were expecting the following 32bits floats to be converted to the following integers:

. 6.5 -> expected=7 ; obtained=6

. 7.5 -> expected=8 (obtained that)

. 8.5 -> expected=9 ; obtained=8

. -6.5 -> expected = -7 ; obtained = -6

. -7.5 -> expected = -8 (obtained that)

. -8.5 -> expected = -9 ; obtained = -8

So, is it possible to use these instructions to round floats to integer including round +x.5 to x+1 and -x.5 to -x-1? Or are these instructions performing a base-2 rounding rather than a base-10 rounding?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
davidtosenovjan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I can confirm observed behavior. I have test with e200z759. It is mode "Round to nearest, ties to even" and it seems to be fixed on this core.

IEEE floating point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

pastedImage_0.png

e200z760 has following SPEFSCR[RM] affecting rounding mode. Note that FRMC bit also influence float to integer rounding behavior so here you should be able to configure all options from table above.

pastedImage_3.png

pastedImage_4.png

pastedImage_0.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
davidtosenovjan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I believe it’ll have something to do with hexadecimal representation of float number as this number is rounded up/down/nearest (not its decimal interpretation) if result of calculation is inexact.

I have found in some old response following example I think could fit to this situation:

When we do calculation 5.0/3.0 = 1.66666 (round to the nearest)

The actual result is 1.66666 (in HEX 0x3FD55555) although assumption could be 1.66667

Possible a single-precision HEX result are:

0x3fd55554

0x3fd55555

0x3fd55556

and converting these possibilities to decimal are:

1.66666663 is the closest representation to the actual number.

0 Kudos
EAlepins
Contributor V

Hi,

I think you are discussing floating-point number rounding for floating-point operations such as multiplication or division. The PowerPC manuals have doog info on this. However, "efsctsi" / "fctiw" are different. They round the floating-point number to its nearest _integer_, thus we are not discussing rounding of the very last digit of a number, but rounding of all the fractional digits into the lowest integral digit. And this process is not well documented. There is indeed a pseudo code in the annexes of the EREF, but hard to understand... And still, I don't understand why even numbers are wrongly rounded (6.5, 8.5, 10.5) whereas odd numbers are ok (7.5, 9.5, 11.5).

Thanks.

0 Kudos
davidtosenovjan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Could you give me hexadecimal representation of mentioned floating values?

0 Kudos
EAlepins
Contributor V

For example, 6.5 is 0x40D00000. And it is rounded to integer 0x00000006.

0 Kudos
davidtosenovjan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I can confirm observed behavior. I have test with e200z759. It is mode "Round to nearest, ties to even" and it seems to be fixed on this core.

IEEE floating point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

pastedImage_0.png

e200z760 has following SPEFSCR[RM] affecting rounding mode. Note that FRMC bit also influence float to integer rounding behavior so here you should be able to configure all options from table above.

pastedImage_3.png

pastedImage_4.png

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
EAlepins
Contributor V

Thanks. So if using e200z760 (which is used in very few MCUs though...), then setting SPEFSCR[RM]=0 and SPEFSCR[FRMC]=00 would fix the problem.

0 Kudos