Can variable reluctance signal directly feed into etpu channel?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can variable reluctance signal directly feed into etpu channel?

Jump to solution
haowu
Contributor I

Hi Guys, sorry for asking such a stupid question. I am newbie. I was trying to measure engine speed by using variable reluctance sensor. But , it seems like etpu is not able to detect any transition of this input signal.  Is this because slew rate of variable reluctance sensor output signal is way too small ?   

Can I say that for input signal to be considered by Etpu as a "transition", input signal slew rate has to fall between min/max fall/rise time (Etpu PAD AC spec attached below) ?

another possible reason i could figure for transition not detecting is amplitude of signal.  May be my VR sensor output signal  is not high enough?  Waveform of VR sensor output is attached below for your reference.

Thanks a lot for your help!

165683_165683.pngpastedImage_2.png

165676_165676.pngpastedImage_1.png

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
davidtosenovjan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, you cannot connect it directly as eTPU inputs/outputs are DIGITAL I/O. In case you need to process ANALOG signals, you have to use sample analog signal by ADC module and perform certain signal processing.

As inspiration I can show you scheme of connection of resolver and basic application scheme of eTPU resolver function (see interconnection with eQADC module) - picture taken from AN3943.

pastedImage_1.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
davidtosenovjan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, you cannot connect it directly as eTPU inputs/outputs are DIGITAL I/O. In case you need to process ANALOG signals, you have to use sample analog signal by ADC module and perform certain signal processing.

As inspiration I can show you scheme of connection of resolver and basic application scheme of eTPU resolver function (see interconnection with eQADC module) - picture taken from AN3943.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
haowu
Contributor I

Great explanation , David!  Thanks a lot for your answer.

0 Kudos
aero72
Contributor III

Hello,

I would *strongly* recommend you look at a dedicated VR sensor to digital level conversion IC.

Check out:http://www.ti.com/product/lm1815?keyMatch=LM1815&tisearch=Search-EN-Everything for instance, I've used it successfully in several products....the output of this device can interface directly to an eTPU pin.

Regards,

Andrew

0 Kudos
haowu
Contributor I

Thank you for your information, Andrew. i will take a look at it.

0 Kudos