cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring Semihosting Console with MCUXpresso for VScode

Jump to solution
CktDesigner
Contributor IV

I converted a MCUXpresso IDE project to MCUXpresso for VScode and got the project to compile.

Now I want to try debugging using a semihost console.    This works in the "IDE" version.

I'm using MCUXpresso SDK 2.14.1

If I compile using ConsoleType->UART, everything compiles, but I don't get any "printf" outputs

Since I'm using the Semihost console in the "IDE" version (and everything works), I attempted to switch to Semihosting in the VScode version:

In VScode, I selected Project->Configure->SetConsoleType->Semihost

Project->Configure->SetLibraryType->Newlib-nano

I then rebuild the system and it fails loading.   There are many error messages indicating that functions (mostly from arm_librdimon_a-syscolls.o) are duplicated.   Some of the functions are:  _swiopen, _open, _unlink, _gettimeofday, _clock, _times, _isatty, _system, _rename, etc.

Again, this project compiles when the console type is "UART" (with not output), but fails with the console type of "Semihosting"...

Thoughts?

Also, once this compiles, is there any special arrangement needed to set up a terminal to receive the semihosting output?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
CktDesigner
Contributor IV

I found a section on "Semihosting" in the Known Issues Document in the MCUXpresso for VS code Git webpage.

Applying the suggested workaround fixed the problem!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
CktDesigner
Contributor IV

I found a section on "Semihosting" in the Known Issues Document in the MCUXpresso for VS code Git webpage.

Applying the suggested workaround fixed the problem!

0 Kudos