Why is lwip sdk example not single-stepping?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is lwip sdk example not single-stepping?

m4l490n
Contributor V

I'm trying to single step in a debug session with the frdmk64f_lwip_mqtt_freertos SDK example project but it is not possible. I start the debug session and if I click Resume (F8) button the application runs just fine, I can see the application output in the terminal just fine. But if instead of running I click the Step Over (F6) or Step Into (F5), then the debugger doesn't do anything.

When pressing Step Over (F6), the Resume and Suspend icons gray out as if it was running but it just gets stuck, nothing happens. I have to end the debug session to get it out of this non-responsive state.

I just imported the example, compiled it, and started the debug session. I didn't configure anything.

I don't know what is going on.

I'm using MCUXpresso IDE v11.1.1 [Build 3241] [2020-03-02]

0 Kudos
11 Replies

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Will use the on board JLINK to test it. My colleague Da Li will help you!

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Manuel Malagon,

Sorry, it's my fault.

Due to the Covid-19's impact, we are working at home, I still don't have the FRDM-K64 board on my side.

But don't worry, I will ask help from my colleague who has the FRDM-K64 board, after the test, I will let you know.

Please keep patient, thanks a lot for your understanding.

Have a great day,
Kerry

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos

m4l490n
Contributor V

kerryzhou‌ Thanks for helping.

It's ok, also, maybe it doesn't have to be the FRDM-K64F, what's important is that you, or your colleague, test using a SEGGER JLink debugger, whether the one in the board or an external one, it's the same.

Thanks for helping, I appreciate it.

0 Kudos

nxf56274
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

I use the IDE 11.1.0 and Jlink. My sdk is 2.7.0.  I can step into and step over the code normally. I can also step over the breakpoint you mentioned. Make sure your hardware connection is correct

12.PNG

Have a great day,
TIC

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos

m4l490n
Contributor V

Now I'm using the IDE 11.1.0 and still nothing. Are you using the onboard JLink or an external debug probe? What's your version of JLink? Mine is 6.54C.

Could you please test with the attached SDK?

There is definitely something wrong with my setup or version of a tool, I even suspect the options in my SDK at this point.

0 Kudos

nxf56274
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

I use your attachment to test. All of the things are normal. You can try the other IDE(MKD or IAR).

Have a great day,
TIC

Note:

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Manuel Malagon

Do you try to add the breakpoint, whether it works and stop or not?

Do you try any other SDK simple project, eg, helloworld, ledblinky, whether the single step works or not?

You can also add some screen shoots to demonstrate your issues.

Could you please try the breakpoint instead of the F6 F5, and check another SDK project, just check it is related to the project or the IDE.

Kerry

Note:

0 Kudos

m4l490n
Contributor V

kerryzhou‌ Thanks for helping.

I have added the blinky and hello_world and both debug perfectly fine. I mean, I can single-step through the code.

If I set a breakpoint and hit Resume (F8) the code runs up to the breakpoint, but it runs slower than it should. Also, the "Variables" window doesn't populate.

pastedImage_4.png

If I put a breakpoint on line 407 and hit Resume (F8), then the code doesn't respond anymore and gets stuck as if running but it never gets out of line 405.

pastedImage_5.png

To gain control again I have to click the Terminate ALL Debug Sessions instead of just the Terminate button as I would normally do (with blinky and hello_world for example).

pastedImage_10.png

It seems that the breakpoint technique only works once but then the code goes unresponsive when trying to resume execution.

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Manuel Malagon,

This is my test result on my MIMXRT1064-EVK board

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_3.png

pastedImage_4.png

You can find my breakpoints works OK.

You can use the Expression window to check the variable data.

My SDK version is 2.7.0

But My IDE version is MCUXpresso IDE v11.1.0 [Build 3209] [2019-12-12]

Have a great day,
Kerry

Note:

0 Kudos

m4l490n
Contributor V

kerryzhou

You really need to test with Segger JLINK. I just tested with an ARM ULINK2 probe, inspired by your screenshots, and debugging works perfectly fine, same project, the same tool, same configurations, same everything. The problem is with SEGGER JLink debugger.

I'm using a JLink Base so I don't think it is a restriction that could possibly be found in an EDU version.

m4l490n
Contributor V

kerryzhou

Could you please try with the FRDM-K64F board, a SEGGER JLink Probe, and the frdmk64f_lwip_mqtt_freertos example? I see that you are trying to reproduce on totally different conditions. That could make a difference.

I tried with the MCUXpresso IDE v11.1.0 [Build 3209] [2019-12-12] and it's doing the same.

0 Kudos