What's the recommended workflow for creating and configuring projects?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the recommended workflow for creating and configuring projects?

Jump to solution
m4l490n
Contributor V

I'm confused as to how to use the MCUXpresso and the Config Tools. I mean, what is the recommended workflow to create a project.

I just created a very simple project for an MK64F12 MCU and the project generator has just generated all the minimum files, (some seem to be placeholders for user code), to have a working project displaying "Hello World" using semihosting, (so no peripherals, nothing functional, just the clocks). Under the device folder, the project generator has generated the system_MK64F12.c and system_MK64F12.h pair of files that contain the necessary clock configurations for the MCU. The system_MK64F12.c file is the only one that contains actual useful auto-generated code that is the code that generates the clock configs.

Why do I need the Clock Configuration Tool if the project generates the necessary configurations for the clocks?

Also, how do the configuration tools relate/connect/work with the project generator? Do I just generate a project and then poke around in the pins/peripherals tools to configure my board/MCU?

I'm a bit confused

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
nxf56274
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

The kinetis has many different time modes to meet variety of cases. By default, the mode is configured as PEE mode. So we need the clock configuration tool to modify the clock mode if you want the mcu run in the other clock mode. When you create the project, you can use the configuration tool to configure the pin's function and peripherals

Have a great day,
TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
nxf56274
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

The kinetis has many different time modes to meet variety of cases. By default, the mode is configured as PEE mode. So we need the clock configuration tool to modify the clock mode if you want the mcu run in the other clock mode. When you create the project, you can use the configuration tool to configure the pin's function and peripherals

Have a great day,
TIC

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.