cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QN9080-001-M17 SIP Antenna

davideferrario
Contributor II

Hello.

I am starting a new project based on QN9080-001-M17 SIP module for BLE (I don't need NFC).

I have a doubt about antenna. The module should have integrated antenna, but in QN9080-001-M17 datasheet (https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/QN9080-001-M17.pdf ) Section 12.2, it seems that an external antenna should be used (connected to pin 48, 49, 50).

I have really space constraints for my project, and if I can skip to design external antenna, can be a really advantage for me.

Thank you

Davide Ferrario

0 Kudos
3 Replies

davideferrario
Contributor II

Hello.

Thank you for your answer.

May you explain Section 12 of Objective data sheet - "QN9080-001-M17.pdf" document?

In detail "12.2 Layout recommendation for ground plane implementation and clearance area for QN9080-001-M17 with integrated 2.4 GHz antenna"

Thank you

Davide Ferrario

0 Kudos

Sebastian_Del_Rio
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Davide,

The graphics in section 12.2 of the Datasheet show the recommended arrangement of the GND plane and antenna clearance for optimal performance of the integrated antenna for this module, depending on the location of the module in the PCB in which it will be soldered.

For further reference on how to implement the chip on a development board or PCB, could you please take a look at the Design Files for QN9080SIP-DK package?

QN9080SIP Development Kit | NXP 

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Take care, best regards,

Sebastian

0 Kudos

Sebastian_Del_Rio
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Davide, I hope you're doing well!

The QN9080-001-M17 Module has an integrated antenna, and no external antenna is necessary to operate this module. Pins 48, 49 and 50 serve as antenna GND pins, and should be connected to ground for better RF performance:

pastedImage_1.png

As an additional note, to use the internal antenna, pins 23 and 24 should be shorted.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Take care, best regards,

Sebastian

0 Kudos