cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Welcome Screen to install SDKs

Jump to solution
bobpaddock
Senior Contributor III

In section 4.2.1 of the 11.3 MCUXpresso IDE User Guide we are told to install SDKs via the 'Welcome Screen'.  What 'Welcome Screen'? 

When I start MCUXpresso it comes up to the IDE directly, bypassing the Welcome Screen, which I have seen in the past, found it annoying and turned it off;  As have others from the requests on how to turn it off here.

Now there doesn't seem to be anyway to start said Welcome Screen and the setting that controlled it in the past under Windows/Preferences/MCU Expresso IDE/General has been removed or moved.  Moved to where if it still exists?  So there is no way to install SDKs via this method.

Why can't we just install new SDKs from the "Installed SDKs" perspective that is easy to find as a default view?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Hi @bobpaddock ,

as a background article, see https://mcuoneclipse.com/2017/05/13/customizing-welcome-view-and-splash-screen-in-eclipse-neon/

Nothing different in 10.3 I think. You can get it here:

ErichS_0-1610984762846.png

But the 'Show welcome view' indeed seems to be moved somewhere else. But you can check the 'Always show Welcome at start up' from the welcome screen.

As for installing an SDK: you can use this view (Window > Show View):

ErichS_1-1610985279989.png

which gives you something like this to install SDKs directly:

ErichS_2-1610985334867.png

which is nice because it serves as a 'device selector' too. 

As for installing the SDK: personally I prefer to download it as a zip file from the MCUXpresso web site and then drag&dop it into the IDE: simply because it is easier for me to keep the SDK zip files for later.

I hope this helps,

Erich

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Hi @bobpaddock ,

as a background article, see https://mcuoneclipse.com/2017/05/13/customizing-welcome-view-and-splash-screen-in-eclipse-neon/

Nothing different in 10.3 I think. You can get it here:

ErichS_0-1610984762846.png

But the 'Show welcome view' indeed seems to be moved somewhere else. But you can check the 'Always show Welcome at start up' from the welcome screen.

As for installing an SDK: you can use this view (Window > Show View):

ErichS_1-1610985279989.png

which gives you something like this to install SDKs directly:

ErichS_2-1610985334867.png

which is nice because it serves as a 'device selector' too. 

As for installing the SDK: personally I prefer to download it as a zip file from the MCUXpresso web site and then drag&dop it into the IDE: simply because it is easier for me to keep the SDK zip files for later.

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos