cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use heap_useNewlib ?

jbrud
Contributor III

Hi,

previously I updated the SDK to Version 2.7 and I noticed the new FreeRTOS heap "heap_useNewlib" implementation. After reading Dave Nadlers blog post(Thanks for that !) and as I use Newlib, I would like to switch. But I wondering how it is meant to use it with MCUXpressoSDK. My first idea was drop in heap_useNewlib.c file and add new number in FreeRTOSConfig.h for example configFRTOS_MEMORY_SCHEME 6.

But this conflicts with NXP's FreeRTOS extension freertos_tasks_c_additions.h which checks configFRTOS_MEMORY_SCHEME > 5  at line 53.  It's clear I could just modify the SDK sources to get it working but that is what I want to avoid. Any advises ?

Additionally there is a uppercase lowercase mistake in heap_useNewlib.c. It tries to inlcude #include "freeRTOS.h"  it should be #include "FreeRTOS.h".

Thanks !

0 Kudos
8 Replies

davenadler
Senior Contributor I

j.bruder‌ - Typo fixed and a few other updates on github (you'd need to merge NXP's LD symbols.
configFRTOS_MEMORY_SCHEME does not come into play; do not define it.
Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave

0 Kudos

np
Contributor IV

Hi Johannes,

The heap_newlib thing has its roots in Dave Nadler's page here: newlib and FreeRTOS  I'd recommend reading this to understand why using NXP's heap_newlib() is probably a good idea.

There's a comment here (from July 2020) that may answer your issue: https://mcuoneclipse.com/2020/05/31/tutorial-adding-freertos-to-where-there-is-no-freertos/#comment-...

Cheers, Nick

0 Kudos

jbrud
Contributor III

Any news here ?

0 Kudos

danielchen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

From what I know, this issue will be fixed  in version sdk 2.9, since this fix will be involved with IDE team and FreeRTOS team.

Regards

Daniel

0 Kudos

jbrud
Contributor III

@NXP Any feedback here ?

0 Kudos

danielchen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Thanks Johannes , there seems an issue here. Let me consult with develop and let you know the results.

Regards

Daniel

0 Kudos

Pavel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

It looks like your SDK is not SDK for PowerPC or Layerscape processors.

NXP offers Yocto Linux BSP SDK 2.7 for PowerPC or Layerscape processors.

https://source.codeaurora.org/external/qoriq/qoriq-components/yocto-sdk/about/

Have a great day,
Pavel Chubakov

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

jbrud
Contributor III

I'm working on a MK64F12, which is a ARM Cortex-M4 and the SDK is generated by NXP's MCUXpresso SDK Builder.

What do you mean ?

0 Kudos