Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to find back SDK version in an exported MCUXpresso project

Jump to solution
Xiang_Li
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

When working with other people, sometimes I need to know what SDK version they are using. In the SDK.zip downloaded from nxp.com, normally we can find this info in "SW-Content-Register.txt" in the root folder.
At the beginning we see:
Release Name: MCUXpresso Software Development Kit (SDK)
Release Version: 2.2.5

However, often I receive a project.zip, which can be an example project extracted from the SDK.zip. And the customer includes their own codes based on the example. In this case I find it difficult to find back which SDK version the example was from.

From the driver/middleware versions, we can only guess if the customer is using a newer/older SDK, but not know SDK version exactly.

So my question, is there an easy way to know the SDK version from a MCUXpresso project? If not, can we take this feedback to improve in future MCUXpresso releases?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Hi @Xiang_Li ,

the MCUXpresso IDE shows that information for the project:

ErichS_1-1606463152479.png

Please note that you can add part information to a project using the SDK Management context menu: that way all the necessary information for the debugger are part of the project and you do not need an SDK installed if you want to use that project (e.g. for debugging):

ErichS_2-1606463196123.png

I hope this helps,

Erich

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MarcinChelminsk
Contributor IV

You need to be careful with this info. Let's assume the scenario your customer uses SDK 2.8.6:

1_installed_sdk.PNG

and imports SDK example project of Hello world:2_import_example_from_SDK.PNG

After importing, customer can see an info Erich has mentioned above:

3_associated_SDK.PNG

Then he decides to export the project using Export project(s) to archive (zip) from Quickstart Panel, then sends the zip file to you.

And now funny part: you are using SDK 2.9.3:

4_installed_sdk_a.PNG

and want to import customer project using Import project(s) from file system... from Quickstart Panel. After importing, you can still see Associated SDK - version=2.8.6, so far so good. However, when you restart your MCUXpresso, Associated SDK changes to the one you currently use

5_associated_sdk_comparison.pngI found that the info about SDK is saved in .cproject file, provided with exported project. Therefore, I believe you can double-check SDK version the project has been created from initially:

6_sdkversion_cproject.png

ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Hi @Xiang_Li ,

the MCUXpresso IDE shows that information for the project:

ErichS_1-1606463152479.png

Please note that you can add part information to a project using the SDK Management context menu: that way all the necessary information for the debugger are part of the project and you do not need an SDK installed if you want to use that project (e.g. for debugging):

ErichS_2-1606463196123.png

I hope this helps,

Erich

Xiang_Li
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi ErichS,

Thanks a lot, this is what I am looking for.