How can I help to port KL05 in MCUXpresso? (resposted)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I help to port KL05 in MCUXpresso? (resposted)

matheus_pinto1
Contributor II

Hello everbody,

I think I posted my question in the wrong place in the community because I don't get an answer:

https://community.nxp.com/t5/Using-Our-Community/How-can-I-help-to-port-KL05-in-MCUXpresso/td-p/1249...

So, I will repeat what I wrote before!

As commented in this topic https://community.nxp.com/t5/Kinetis-Microcontrollers/mcuxpresso-for-KL05/td-p/787156, the KL05Z microcontroller doesn't have support of MCUXpresso SDK, and so, it can't be used in MCUXpresso IDE.

I like the FRDM-KL05Z board because: it is simple to use in an "embedded system" course; it is ARM based; it have an embed programmer; it is cheap to buy in Brazil (compared to other similar boards) and; I have many of these boards!

On the other hand, I like to use the "Open Pin" tool and, mainly, the "Open Clocks" tool because it makes teaching the microcontroller much easier.

I saw in the previous topic that it is a market issue to update the KL05Z for use in MCUXPresso. But, my question is: is it possible for me, as a customer, to help with the portability of the KL05Z to use the "Open pins" and "Open clocks" tools?

Thanks in advance.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi matheus_pinto1,

KL05 is really old, and it can't be supported in the MCUXPresso SDK, so the MCUXpresso related tools can't support it.

About the KL05, you can use this driver:

https://www.nxp.com/webapp/sps/download/license.jsp?colCode=KL05-SC

Which is the CW, KEIL, IAR project.

Or you can use the old KDS, which can support the PE, that also can use the pin and module configuration.

Or, you can select other KL chip which is supported in the mcuxpresso:

https://mcuxpresso.nxp.com/en/select

What about KL16?

kerryzhou_0-1618456049952.png

Wish it helps you!

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos

matheus_pinto1
Contributor II

Hi kerryzhou,

Thanks for the reply!

I am aware of the alternatives you have brought here. However:

- The driver for KL05 that you passed, alone is not enough for what I want (a module config tool);

- PE is a good tool, but I want the SDK for this board because it will be an entry point for other MCUs. My intention is that my students can use other Kinetis MCUs in specific projects (DSP, network, wireless, motor control, etc.) Thus, the knowledge and API obtained by this MCU can be reused in more advanced projects.  

As for the KL05 being very old, I don't understand why the KL02 has an SDK. The two MCUs are quite similar and appear to have been launched on the market in a period close to each other.

Although there is a FRDM-KL02Z board, here in Brazil the FRDM-KL05Z is much more available and at a low price (I don't know why) at which even students can buy. In addition, we have dozens of these pieces here at our institution so I want to reuse them. Thus, KL16 would not be a viable option in this case.

I would also like to understand why the age of the MCU would hinder portability for MCUXpresso. From what I understand, it is enough to develop the SDK API and from there create the configuration files so that the automatic codes are generated by the configuration tools. Or is it more complex than that? Because my initial idea of the post would be to create this API and make it available to you so that it can be ported to MCUXPresso.

Thanks in advance!

ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Hi @matheus_pinto1 ,

I feel with you: I'am in similar situation and (have) used the KL05Z in my classes and labs. There is still one course with it (using KDS and Processor Expert). But for the reasons you mentioned I have switched multiple courses using the LPC845-BRK (https://mcuoneclipse.com/tag/lpc845-brk/) instead: this one is supported by the SDK and is even lower costs (at least in Europe) than any other boards, plus is breadboard friendly. It is in the same range as the KL05Z so this might be a consideration too.

In addition to that, it can be easily used with an external debug probe too, plus it can be turned into a debug probe itself: this is very useful is students want to debug their own designs: they can do this with this $6 board: https://mcuoneclipse.com/2019/02/02/tutorial-transforming-the-nxp-lpc845-brk-into-a-cmsis-dap-debug-...

I hope this helps,

Erich

matheus_pinto1
Contributor II

Hi Erick,

Thank you for the advice.

This seems to be a great board! I wonder why NXP doesn't create similar ones for Kinetis...

I did a quick search for the board on the web and I couldn't find any store that sells here in Brazil. As I work at a government institution, some purchases must be made from Brazilian distributors.

In fact, I'm still insisting on Kinetis, because I've been using it for a long time and I know a lot of its hardware. This is very important in the projects that I develop with students, as they involve critical applications. Knowing the precise functioning of the hardware is essential. Thus, migrating to another microcontroller more available and at more attractive costs (at least in Brazil) would cost a lot of time.

I don't know what it is like elsewhere, but here competing companies for 32-bit microcontrollers are dominating because of price and availability. I am not seeing any other way, except to migrate to another manufacturer.

Regards

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi matheus_pinto1,

If you need to check the LPC product, you also can find the NXP official board:

https://www.nxp.com/design/software/development-software/mcuxpresso-software-and-tools-/lpcxpresso84...

This board also can be supported by the mcuxpresso SDK and it's IDE.

kerryzhou_0-1618538745786.png

About LPC8xx similar to the kinetis, it is the NXP company history, as your know, the kinetis is the old Freescale product, and LPC is the NXP product, now, we mainly update the LPC800 chip instead of KL chip.

In fact, KL05 is very simple, even you don't use the MCUXPresso IDE, you also can use other IDE, eg, IAR, MDK, you even can use the register to control it directly, as the clock system, pins, modules is very simple. I mean, if you really want to use KL05, you can use the register to control it, and write your own code, it is not difficult.

Wish it helps you!

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos

matheus_pinto1
Contributor II

I understand your point, but that's not the question I asked ... Is it possible for me to help you port KL05Z to MCUXpresso by providing a KL05 API SDK?

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi matheus_pinto1,

No, as no SDK for KL05, so MCUXpresso didn't support the KL05 directly now, and no way to porting it.

That's why I give you another recommendations.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos