cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is the difference between KDS and MCUXpresso

myselfnitinverm
Contributor I

Dear Team,

I wanted to know the difference between Kinetis design studio,MCUXpresso and S32DS IDE.

Regards,

Nitin verma

3 Replies

myselfnitinverm
Contributor I

Thanks a lot Jennie zang,

Kindly let me know how do we generate the configuration files for peripherals as per the design and requirement as Processor expert is not given as part of IDE.

Thanks

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Nitin,

If you insist use processor expert,  I recommend these articles written by Erich:

MCUXpresso IDE: Installing Processor Expert into Eclipse Neon | MCU on Eclipse 

Tutorial: Using Eclipse with NXP MCUXpresso SDK v2 and Processor Expert | MCU on Eclipse 

However to work with MCUXpresso IDE, the recommended compliant SW is MCUXpresso SDK ( MCUXpresso SDK|NXP  ) and MCUXpresso Config Tools ( MCUXpresso Config Tools|NXP  )

MCUXpresso SDK includes Open-source peripheral drivers that provide stateless, high performance, easy-to-use APIs.

MCUXpresso Config Tools  Available in both online and desktop editions, these tools allow developers to quickly build a custom SDK, leverage pins, clocks and peripheral tools to generate initialization C code for custom board support and estimate system power consumption and battery life. All the generated codes are compatible with MCUXpresso SDK.

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Nitin.

Several points I can think of:

MCUXpresso IDE is using the newer (Neon) Eclipse IDE than KDS and S32DS (Luna 4.4).

MCUXpresso IDE is using the same build system and integration as LPCXpresso, while KDS and S32DS are using the GNU ARM Eclipse plugins.

MCUXpresso IDE does not include Processor Expert, but KDS does.

MCUXpresso IDE support both LPC and Kinetis. KDS and S32DS support only legacy Freescale product.

MCUXpresso IDE uses managed linker script to manage linker file, don't suggest user manually edit liker files directly. While for KDS and S32DS linker file can be generated by IDE and and editable by user.

For more information, see description of each IDE

http://www.nxp.com/products/software-and-tools/run-time-software/mcuxpresso-software-and-tools/mcuxp... 

Kinetis® Design Studio Integrated Development Environment (IDE)|NXP 

S32 Design Studio IDE|NXP 

For any specific question on this related. please let me know.

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!