"no compatible probes available" debugging mcuxpresso, lpc1549, custom freeRTOS

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"no compatible probes available" debugging mcuxpresso, lpc1549, custom freeRTOS

late347
Contributor II

I was doing some school lab exercises with mcuxpressso (latest version, installed yesterday) and I succesfully did the first lab exercise! My computer OS is windows 10.

The problem is that when I saved and closed my project, and I restarted mcuxpresso, I can no longer debug that same project that I was earlier able to debug. I just get the message "No compatible probes available. They may be disabled, disconnected, not powered, already in use or not compatible with this target."

I did everything as per the instructions in the pdf file in the attachment, and I was able to use the advanced debugging when I just created the project.

So, just to be clear, the advanced debugging did work properly when I just created the project and I kept making small changes and building and debugging it. But, when I closed mcuxpresso and tried to debug again, it doesn't seem to work.

Project has lpc1549 chip and board libraries, and freeRTOS, the last of which was provided by our teacher.

The freeRTOS debugging did work in the first lab exercise, as I followed my teacher installation instruction properly, but I'm realyl stumped that I cannot any longer debug the project in the same way again... (quickstart panel->debug project)

the project idea was to use that newest version of freeRTOS (version 10???) and then have the C++ main() blinky type of program that just flashes the lights on the board.

It appears I'm currently UNABLE to use FreeRTOS kernel aware debugging any longer (but the debugging did work properly when I configured the debug probe for the first time to use the All-stop IDE debug mode, as per instructions.

I am able to access the Vcom USB port with putty, when I'm not apparently debugging the project, with mcuxpresso IDE still closed. (the board is still connected with the usb, though)

the files in the project were teacher provided main() file blinky.cpp, freeRTOS10 and regular NXP provided lpc1549 chip and board libraries.

I might have to ask my teacher again tomorrow for help! So, depressing when I can't get this debuggin to work. I'm quite new to freeRTOS, but I did have an older installation of mcuxpresso so I'm not totally new to embedded systems programming.

Labels (1)
8 Replies

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I can't import any project(s) in the blinky.zip archive you provided which, I presume, is the actual FreeRTOS project which leverages the library built in the FreeRTOS project (freertos10.zip). The FreeRTOS project itself is a library only project, and can't be debugged.

You're probably better off starting with the LPCXpresso1549 LPCOpen examples in the following folder:

C:\nxp\MCUXpressoIDE_10.2.1_795\ide\Examples\LPCOpen\lpcopen_2_20_lpcxpresso_nxp_lpcxpresso_1549.zip

This archive includes many projects, but, as a minimum, you need to import lpc_board_nxp_lpcxpresso_1549, lpc_chip_15xx, and freertos_blinky.The LPCOpen blinky project is called periph_blinky. You'll need to apply the FreeRTOS edits to the source as before. In other words, the inclusion of freertos_tasks_c_additions.h, and the fixups in FreeRTOSConfig.h and tasks.c.

Thanks and regards,

MCUXpresso Support

PS  I encountered no debug trouble with any of the LPCOpen example projects.

0 Kudos

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Lauri, 

Please include the contents from the Debug console once you see a failure.

The Debug Log

Thanks and regards,

MCUXpresso Support

late347
Contributor II

Thank you for help, and for showing concern! Previously in an earlier school course mcuxpresso worked just fine for me. But this time I'm really starting to pull my hair out with frustration!

I had to my school lab assignment yesterday, with a freshly installed mcuxpresso. I kept the program running entire day so I could debug during class hours! Only after my labs were evaluated did I close the program and my laptop xD.

This sounds ludicrous but this tactic actually worked, not really that sustainable of a solutoin though...

OS is windows 10 and MCUXpressoIDE_10.2.1_795

0 Kudos

late347
Contributor II

I managed to debug and collect the log files when I debugged with the "first run" of the IDE, and I imported an earlier working project and it debugged just fine. Here are the logs provided, and the zipped project files, which I just imported within the IDE.

0. I did fresh installation of mcuxpresso

1. I imported the attached project and debugged it without re-discovery. Debugging worked correctly, when I did it as I was supposed to from the quickstart panel debug.

2. I unpaused the  first breakpoint and paused again

3. board behaved correctly

4. I stopped the debugsession with terminate button

closing debug session IMPORTANT.png

5. I opened up the same mcuxpresso workspace, and I started debugsession.

6. The debugsession started normally and proceeded to the first breakpoint.

7. When I pressed "resume" button (to the right of skip all breakpoints), the debugsession crashed completely.

8. I think I panicked here and then I pressed the "clean up debug" button, and closed the mcuxpresso

9. I opened mcuxpresso  again. Now I cannot find any probes in the debug when I try to start the debugsession.

0 Kudos

late347
Contributor II

OOPs I was too early, I still got a new type of error message when I tried to use kernel aware debugging with freertos in mcuxpresso.

Windows10,

MCUXpresso IDE v10.2.1 [Build 795] [2018-07-25]
(c) Copyright NXP Semiconductors 2006-18. All rights reserved.

failed debug launch sequence.png

0 Kudos

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

One thing to note if you want to use the FreeRTOS awareness with a LinkServer debug connection is that you will probably need to make the modifications documented in the MCUXpresso IDE v10.2 FreeRTOS Debug Guide. These changes are generally already made in the FreeRTOS supplied as part of MCUXpresso SDKs. But other sources, such as the older LPCOpen packages will not.

With regards to the error message you are seeing when debugging, my first suggestion would be to power down and back up again your probe/board, then click on the "Clean up Debug" button on the main toolbar (red square with an 'x'  in the bottom right corner). Then try launching the debug session again.

You might also want to read through section 18.10, "Using and troubleshooting LPC-Link2" in the MCUXpresso IDE v10.2 User Guide.

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

0 Kudos

late347
Contributor II

I believe i tried all the applicable things in the user guide. This has been the strangest thing to try to get working. When I installed a fresh install and everything worked perfectly in the debugging.

But after closing the program and opening the same project and workspace the debug probe isn't found any longer.

0 Kudos

late347
Contributor II

I did get the matter resolved when I uninstalled all mcuxpresso versions, and I recreated a fresh workspace... Possibly the problem was using wrong usb port on my laptop. But it seems debugging works now