cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Error: Probe not open" with LPC-LINK2 CMSIS-DAP on Windows

Jump to solution
jake_m
Contributor II

I have two LPC54S018-EVK that work on one Windows 10 PC but not another. I'm trying to debug one of the example projects and getting the errors in the attached screenshots and log.

I'm new to NXP and have not had NXP software/drivers on either PC prior to a few weeks ago. The PC that doesn't work has never worked, and the one that does work as never not worked. I'm using MCUXpresso IDE v11.3.1 [Build 5262] [2021-04-02] on both.

I've checked the USB (e.g. different ports) and that seems to be fine. I also made sure nothing from NXP is blocked by the Windows firewall.

It looks like a different user reinstalled Windows to resolve this.

I also found this thread that references checking the VCOM driver version and verified that I only have the 2.0.0.0 driver.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

after you finished firmware update, you need remove JP5, reconnect board to test connection.

If this failed on your computer, test your board on another PC

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

In addition to above. Another suggestion.

Try update LPC54S018-EVK on board debug firmware with latest LPCScrypt.

https://www.nxp.com/design/microcontrollers-developer-resources/lpcscrypt-v2-1-2:LPCSCRYPT?tid=vanLP...

please try both CMSIS-DAP and Jlink interface respectively. See if any one of the interface can work?

If neither of the interface can work, can your problematic PC can connect other LPC board? 

0 Kudos
jake_m
Contributor II

I ran the program_CMSIS.cmd and program_JLINK.cmd scripts and both succeeded, so it should be up-to-date, and I'm still seeing the same problem.

The PC with the issue does not work with either of 2 LPC boards that work on 2 other PCs.

Do I need additional hardware to use the J-Link interface? I only have the LPC54S018-EVKs at the moment.

0 Kudos
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

the on board debug interface is ok to connect PC. no additional HW needed.

of cause you have an external debug tool you can use it to test

0 Kudos
jake_m
Contributor II

What I mean is you asked me to test CMSIS-DAP and J-Link. I only have CMSIS-DAP onboard, right? That's the only option I see anyway, either on the PCs that work or the one that doesn't.

I'll add that I've tried uninstalling all MCUXpresso software and drivers and reinstalling the latest version, and that didn't help.

I checked all the settings I could find to make sure they're the same on the PC that doesn't work as the ones that do.

I also ran the redlink executable from the command line to make sure it was actually executing.

0 Kudos
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I mean you can use LPCScrypt to update your on board firmware to either Jlink or CMSIS-DAP

ZhangJennie_0-1630053011231.png

I ever have customer's system can work well with one of the interface. that's why I suggest you trying.

0 Kudos
jake_m
Contributor II

I ran those as previously requested, and they appeared to succeed, but it didn't make a difference.

As for J-Link, I'm only seeing CMSIS-DAP:

jake_m_1-1630081550161.png

Is there something I need to do to use J-Link? Is it on the LPC54S018 board or do I need external hardware?

Anyway, none of this should matter, because multiple boards work with multiple different PCs. I can't imagine how this could be anything other than a software/driver issue on the PC side.

0 Kudos
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi

According to your screenshot, the debug firmware is CMSIS-DAP, not Jlink. Please follow attached video to update the firmware to Jlink interface. You need install JP5 to enable DFU mode before connecting board. Make sure the update successful

ZhangJennie_1-1630293484667.png

If firmware update successful, you will be able to see Jlink when connecting.

ZhangJennie_0-1630293293440.png

Hope this helps,

Jun Zhang

0 Kudos
jake_m
Contributor II

Okay, I think I got it now. I needed to remove the JP5/DFU jumper after programming the J-Link interface.

I didn't think to do this sooner because it wasn't necessary for CMSIS-DAP.

0 Kudos
jake_m
Contributor II

Thanks, but it's still not working. I verified that JP5 is installed. When I try to update to J-Link, it appears to succeed:

jake_m_0-1630341136480.png

I then power cycle the development kit, and I still don't see the J-Link interface.

I'll try switching to J-Link on a PC that works with CMSIS-DAP.

0 Kudos
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

after you finished firmware update, you need remove JP5, reconnect board to test connection.

If this failed on your computer, test your board on another PC

0 Kudos
jake_m
Contributor II

J-Link worked after removing JP5. I didn't know I needed to do that, because I didn't need to do it for CMSIS-DAP.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
converse
Senior Contributor V

Error2 shows "No connection to chips debug port" implying that the debug probe cannot connect to the chip. Likely causes are

- power

- USB ports

- JTAG/SWD cables

0 Kudos
jake_m
Contributor II

I assume the debug probe can't connect to the chip because it's failing to open the debug probe.

Power seems to be okay because the LPC-LINK2 device seems to be enumerating properly. The redlink log shows it reading the VID:PID and serial number. Everything looks like it's going okay until redlink tries "ProbeOpenByIndex 1". That's where I start getting errors on the system that doesn't work, that don't occur on the system that does.

0 Kudos
converse
Senior Contributor V

As mentioned in my previous post, the error is ‘cannot find chips debug port’. This means it has found the debug probe, which has tried (and failed) to connect to the onboard debug port. As this fails, then you get the errors. So the problem lies between the probe and the chip. So, power and SWD cables are most likely, followed by USB cables. Check power reaching the chip, earthing, and check length of SWD cables, 

0 Kudos
jake_m
Contributor II

If I'm understanding correctly, the "probe" is on the same board as the "chip". The board is powered by the USB-A to micro-B connection to the debug port. This configuration works with the same board and cable connected to a different PC with nearly identical specs.

0 Kudos