"Could not connect to core" with LPCXpresso546xx board

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Could not connect to core" with LPCXpresso546xx board

ChrisN
Contributor II

I have latest MCUXpresso 10.0.2 with all drivers updated. Windows 10 machine and starting with a simple gpio_led_output example from the SDK (2.2). I can build fine. When I start the debugger, I get to the "Connect to target: LPC54618J512" dialog that says "1 probe found". The probe name is "LPC-LINK2 CMSIS-DAP V5.182". Under "Supported Probes" there is "MCUXpresso IDE Link Server (incl. CMSIS-DAP) probes". So far so good.

When I continue I get these "Error reported by target", though:

02: Failed on connect
  Could not connect to core.
  31: No connection to chip's debug port

In the console I see:

MCUXpresso RedlinkMulti Driver v10.0 (Jun 22 2017 23:31:55 - crt_emu_cm_redlink build 272)
Found chip XML file in C:/Users/XXXXX/Documents/MCUXpressoIDE_10.0.2_411/workspace/lpcxpresso54618_driver_examples_gpio_led_output/Debug\LPC54618J512.xml
(  5) Remote configuration complete
Reconnected to existing redlink server (PID 4294967295)
Connecting to probe 1 core 0 (server PID unknown) gave 'Ee(36). Could not connect to core.'
Connecting to probe 1 core 0 (server PID unknown) gave 'Ee(36). Could not connect to core.'
Server OK but no connection to probe 1 core 0 (after 3 attempts) - Ee(36). Could not connect to core.
Failed on connect: Ee(36). Could not connect to core.
No connection to chip's debug port
error closing down debug session - Em(02). MEM-AP is not selected.

The DFU-Link jumper JP5 is inserted but it doesn't matter even if I remove it since the debugger has the latest firmware.

The same board works fine in the Keil uVision debugger (with JP5 removed) and I can program it with Flash Magic (with JP5 inserted). My board is a Rev.C. I also have a second board (Rev.B) that behaves exactly the same.

I even tried the previous version 10.0.0 of MCUXpresso and I tried different USB ports (USB 2.0, 3.0, directly on the PC, via hub) but nothing makes any difference.

I am really at the end of my wits. Help?

0 Kudos
10 Replies

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I can't reproduce your connection problem. This is a new part, so I'm curious if you were provided early access to the preliminary FRDM-KW36 SDK build. If so, what example project(s) are you attempting to debug? If you are not using an SDK, I'd like you to post a screen shot of your debug configuration settings. You need to specify the kinetisconnect.scp start up script.

Debug Configurations -> C/C++ (NXP Semiconductors) MCU Application -> <Project> Debug -> Debugger <tab> -> Connect Script

Thanks and regards,

MCUXpresso Support

0 Kudos

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

We (and many many customers) use CMSIS-DAP connections actively on a daily basis with MCUXpresso IDE without any problem, so I am sorry to hear that you continue to have problems. 

With regards to your LPCXpresso54608 board, I would suggest looking at section 16.9, "Using and troubleshooting LPC-Link2" of the MCUXpresso IDE v10.1 User Guide.

With regards to FRDM-KW36, the first thing to do is ensure that you have the latest probe firmware installed (from OpenSDA Serial and Debug Adapter|NXP ). Also as you are using Windows 10, you might want to check out : Freedom OpenSDA Firmware Issues Reported on Windows 10 

But following on from that, please can you post the full text contents from the Debug log and redlinkserv consoles when you attempt to start a debug connection (as per section 16.8, "The Console View" of the MCUXpresso IDE v10.1 User Guide).  Please also check how your board shows up in Windows "Devices and Printers" when plugged in.

Please also confirm the version of MCUXpresso IDE that you are currently using.

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

0 Kudos

denizcan
Contributor II

I am having the same issue with LPCXpresso1769 board.. I tested it with Ubuntu on the same machine, with MacOS on a MacBook. The board is working. However, on Windows it detects the probe, but gaves the following when debugging:

"Connecting to probe 1 core 0 (using server started externally) gave 'Ee(42). Could not connect to core.'"

0 Kudos

denizcan
Contributor II

Reinstalling Windows solved issue.. That was a burden by the way..

0 Kudos

ChrisN
Contributor II

The tips from section 16.9, "Using and troubleshooting LPC-Link2" of the MCUXpresso IDE v10.1 User Guide I have already gone through to no avail. There is also no new probe firmware for the KW36 freedom board (it's not listed because it is so new) and since I am getting the same error with different boards and also whenever I am trying to use the LPC-Link2 I can say it happens the same with different versions of hardware and software. Lastly, the Windows 10 issue talk about the PC not being able to talk to the debug probe at all which is not my issue.

The debug log is:

MCUXpresso RedlinkMulti Driver v10.1 (Dec 19 2017 16:58:35 - crt_emu_cm_redlink build 390)
Reconnected to existing redlink server (PID 4294967295)
Server OK but no connection to probe 1 core 0 (after 3 attempts) - Ee(36). Could not connect to core.
Failed on connect: Ee(36). Could not connect to core.
No connection to chip's debug port
error closing down debug session - Em(02). MEM-AP is not selected.

The redlinkserv console log is:

[Started server]
[Connected on port 3025]
redlink>ProbeList
Index = 1
Manufacturer = ARM
Description = DAPLink CMSIS-DAP
Serial Number = 0251000041114e4500553004b60f003ea6e1000097969900
VID:PID = 0D28:0204
Path = \\?\hid#vid_0d28&pid_0204&mi_03#b&3020deaf&1&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}
redlink>ProbeStatus
Index = 1
Manufacturer = ARM
Path = \\?\hid#vid_0d28&pid_0204&mi_03#b&3020deaf&1&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}
IsOpen = FALSE
WireInitialized = FALSE
WireProtocol = JTAG
CoresConfigured = FALSE
PacketSize = 64
Reference Count = 0
HasSWV = FALSE
HasETM = FALSE
HasJTAG = TRUE
HasSWD = TRUE
Probe Type = CMSIS-DAP
Probe Reference Count = 0
redlink>ProbeIsOpen 1
FALSE
redlink>ProbeOpenByIndex 1
Probe not open
redlink>WireIsConnected 1
FALSE
redlink>WireSwdConnect 1
Probe not open
redlink>CoresConfigured 1
FALSE
redlink>CoreConfig 1
Probe not open
redlink>ProbeStatus
Index = 1
Manufacturer = ARM
IsOpen = FALSE
WireInitialized = FALSE
WireProtocol = JTAG
CoresConfigured = FALSE
PacketSize = 64
Reference Count = 0
HasSWV = FALSE
HasETM = FALSE
HasJTAG = TRUE
HasSWD = TRUE
Probe Type = CMSIS-DAP
Probe Reference Count = 0
redlink>quit
[Closed]

The MCUXpresso version is:

MCUXpresso IDE v10.1.1 [Build 606] [2018-01-02]

0 Kudos

ChrisN
Contributor II

This was never resolved and I believe that something "deeper" is going on that warrants investigation.

With the LPCXpresso546xx board I had eventually worked around the issue by programming the on-board OpenSDA interface with the J-Link firmware which is thankfully also supported in MCUXpresso.

Now I have a FRDM-KW36 board here that I have to work with and J-Link firmware is not available. So I am back to CMSIS-DAP and back to the same "could not connect to core" issue also with this board.

I tried the ARM uVision debugger that also supports CMSIS-DAP and there, I can program the flash and debug without any apparent problems. So we can exclude any power/hardware/cabling issues or even issues with the USB drivers.

But in MCUXpresso, I was not even once successful in doing that, not even erasing the flash or anything, and this is what I'll have to use.

By the way, I got so desparate that I have reinstalled anything related to USB, used USB 2.0 setting in the BIOS, even used a plug-in (ExpressCard) USB controller card, all to no avail, all returning the same error. Of course a complete uninstall/reinstall of MCUXpresso, too, and I can't even count the number of times I have recreated a new startup configuration.

What can I do to track this down? Is there a way to turn on extra-verbose logging to see what's going on at low level?

0 Kudos

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The normal issue with these boards is power (mainly due to the LCD on the back). Just relying on power supplied through the debug port is often not sufficient. Make sure you also power via J1/Power connector as well (preferably from a USB powered hub or USB power plug).

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

0 Kudos

denizcan
Contributor II

As I mentioned above, on unix systems it works, but on windows it does not.. Can it be a "path" problem?

0 Kudos

ChrisN
Contributor II

The RevC board doesn't have a display, I have the one with the CAN shield. Also, I am powering through both J1 (power) and J8 (debug) through a powered USB hub. Still doesn't work.

If power was the issue, I also wouldn't understand why it works with no problem in uVision debugger and Flash Magic.

0 Kudos

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

In that case, the next step is to check out section 14.12, "Using and troubleshooting LPC-Link2" of the MCUXpresso IDE v10.0.2 User Guide.

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support