Will the MCUXpresso IDE run on macOS Big Sur?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

la_dsp
Contributor I

0 Kudos
12 Replies

iancull
Contributor III

Accidentally let my Intel Mac update to Big Sur this week ... there's a lot of things wrong with the display behavior of MCUXpresso Mac under Big Sur (I'm running v11.2.1 build 4149 which admitted is older than current).

As mentioned the text gets strange for example when making a window bigger/smaller the text just stretches or squishes! A couple screenshots attached. These issues do redraw if you select the window so not too bad.

Worst for me is that it doesn't appear to be possible now to drag windows to different positions - I have a layout with two groups of tabbed windows and I can't drag a tab from one group to another, with Big Sur. That's a major pain!

The actual functionality of MCUXpresso Mac is fine; it compiles code, executed pre/post-build, etc; it seems to be just the window draw behavior that is broken.

UPDATE: Just discovered also, when search is used then a match line is double-clicked to go to the file ... if it's a different line in a file already in view then the window position doesn't update to show the new position (you have to click in the window, or even scroll, to get the updated view); that's a really bad problem!

0 Kudos

iancull
Contributor III

Just installed latest MCUXpresso Mac v11.4.1 build 6260 and all these window problems go away, happily.

I can now drag/drop a tab (open file) from one tab group to another; clicking on a search result does move to the correct line of the file, and changing window size dynamically re-draws the contents.

The text fonts are all different, a bit smaller than before but that's ok.

Now I have a heap of computers to update ...

converse
Senior Contributor V

This is much improved in the latest version of MCUXpresso. 11.4.1.

robertpoor
Senior Contributor I

For what it's worth, at this moment the documentation for MUCXpresso IDE on:

https://www.nxp.com/design/software/development-software/mcuxpresso-software-and-tools-/mcuxpresso-i...

says:

Host operating systems:

• macOS 10.11 -> 10.15

which (indirectly) suggests that the IDE won't run under macOS 11 (Big Sur).  Perhaps the document could be updated... 

0 Kudos

converse
Senior Contributor V

For the avoidance of doubt, MCXUpresso 11.3 DOES run on Big Sur. 

jackking
Senior Contributor I

It does install and run, but in use it is pretty poor. 

Half the time, the screen doesn't update properly, so your editor doesn't show the actual code you are editing.  Same is true for most other screens, you get distortions and incorrect values until a redraw of the screen is forced (usually by scrolling the window).

I wish I could downgrade back to Catalina and wait for MCUXpresso to use the latest Eclipse which has fixes for Big Sur.

la_dsp
Contributor I

Are the issues you listed for Big Sur on an Intel Mac?   Or are these just for Big Sur on an M1 Mac?

0 Kudos

jackking
Senior Contributor I

It is on an Intel Mac (iMac 5k).  I have been living with it, but I have made a few errors specifically because of the UI bugs, such as editing the wrong line of code because the UI hadn't refreshed.

It may also be my imagination, but my build times seem slower on Big Sur than they did on Catalina.

Tags (1)

la_dsp
Contributor I

Thanks for clearing that up!    I hope they rebuild MCUXpresso soon.

0 Kudos

robertpoor
Senior Contributor I

I've noticed the screen update issues, but as I use an external editor 95% of the time, the impact is minimal.  (In fact, I thought it was just a quirk of my ancient MacBook Pro.)  But I had no difficulty installing or launching it.

And FWIW, it's not just MCUXpresso -- I've seen the lack of screen update on other Eclipse-based IDEs.

converse
Senior Contributor V

Assuming you mean on a Mac with Intel silicon, then yes it does run, although installation is a pain as the package is not notarized (but it is signed). It is possible that it may run on a Mac with Apple Silicon using Rosetta2, but I've not seen anybody say they have even tried it.

This FAQ explains how to install on Catalina, but it is similar for Big Sur.

https://community.nxp.com/t5/MCUXpresso-Community-Articles/Using-MCUXpresso-IDE-on-macOS-10-15-Catal...

la_dsp
Contributor I

Thanks, yes, I was referring to running macOS 11 on an Intel Mac.  Thanks for the confirmation.

0 Kudos