cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weirdness with MCUXpresso 11.4.x on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Jump to solution
myke_predko
Senior Contributor III

I noticed a request for an update on MCUXpresso 11.4.0 and discovered that it was the usual request to update the P&E Micro firmware.  I clicked to install it and after it was installed MCUXpresso crashed.  

When I tried to restart MCUXpresso it would not start - the splash screen comes up followed by the request to select the workspace and then nothing.  I rebooted the PC running Ubuntu and MCUXpresso would still not start - the same thing.  

I then removed MCUXpresso from /usr/local and looked at "MCUXPresso download" and saw that there is a new version of MCUXpresso there.  I downloaded it, installed it and it seems to be working fine (other than pushing an update to my JLink+ debugger).  

I was running 11.4.0_6224 and I'm now runnin g11.4.1_6260

So, any ideas?  

0 Kudos
1 Solution
lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Myke,

As mentioned in the Release History document and as you noticed in another thread, a new update of 11.4.0 was made (~ one month ago), b6224 of 11.4.0 being replaced by b6237. This was intended to fix an eclipse updater issue and problem's behavior is similar with the one observed by you. This was also mentioned as an updated note in the description of the v11.4.0 announcement.

Meanwhile, v11.4.1_6260 was just announced, so our recommendation is to continue to use this one.

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Myke,

As mentioned in the Release History document and as you noticed in another thread, a new update of 11.4.0 was made (~ one month ago), b6224 of 11.4.0 being replaced by b6237. This was intended to fix an eclipse updater issue and problem's behavior is similar with the one observed by you. This was also mentioned as an updated note in the description of the v11.4.0 announcement.

Meanwhile, v11.4.1_6260 was just announced, so our recommendation is to continue to use this one.

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

0 Kudos
myke_predko
Senior Contributor III

@lpcxpresso_supp 

What's happening with fixing the "BOARD_FLASH_SIZE" warning?  

0 Kudos
lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

There are SDKs which are not providing board.c/.h. In this case, the IDE decides to add its own files. Since some SDKs are requiring BOARD_FLASH_SIZE for components like flash driver, IDE will define it in its generated board.c/h files.
Adding the warning only conditionally (only for some SDKs, only for some versions) it’s not an option since we cannot determine the intention/need for that generated project.
So, if BOARD_FLASH_SIZE is not used in your code, please just remove it from the created project.

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

0 Kudos
myke_predko
Senior Contributor III

@lpcxpresso_supp 

Thank you for the reply but you're not mitigating my concerns about MCUXpresso.  Please understand that the following comments as coming from a good place and not as an opportunity to attack you or show my superiority - I really want nothing but the best operation of MCUXpresso. 

The "BOARD_FLASH_SIZE" warning in "board.c" just appeared in MCUXpresso 11.3.1 without any prior notification.  Coupled with the problematic roll out of 11.4.0 I am questioning the ability of the MCUXpresso team to deliver code that can be depended on.  

This is a confidence issue and when I see statements like "the IDE decides to add its own files" it doesn't sound like the team has a good understanding of how the software works.  I've been brought up to never modify system generated files as their contents were put in there for a reason so "just remove it" is telling me things are going in that don't belong. 

In your reply below it sounds like the SDK generated code is not integrating properly wtih the IDE - that's a really scary conclusion for somebody who depends on the SDK/IDE code for their, and their employees, livelihood.  

You see a system generated warning as a nit that can simply be deleted; I see it as a symptom of software project, that I depend upon, going out of control.  

0 Kudos
myke_predko
Senior Contributor III

@lpcxpresso_supp 

Thank you for the reply.  I didn't think the updater problem would be manifested in P&E Micro programmer updates.  

Can I ask if there was a review of the pre-rollout testing and procedures as related to 11.4.0?  I would think that the issues that came out of this release would warrant a significant review and reflection on how things are done in that regard.  

This was definitely not the clean update release I (and other people) have come to expect.  

0 Kudos