Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to select FreeRTOS as an OS in New Project Wizard screen

Jump to solution
josephjean-jacq
Contributor III

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to create a new project using the SDK for the Kinetis K65 MCU, which I was able to create via MCUXpresso SDK builder and import it in the IDE successfully. When I arrive at the 'Configure the project' screen, under 'OS', I am only able to select "baremetal". I don't see any option to select FreeRTOS as shown in the following video tutorial:  Video Link : 7772  @ the 2:05 mins mark. 

I am trying to import/adapt one of the many FreeRTOS demo apps to the K65. I tried looking into the MCUXpresso User Guide, but it only provides advice on debugging FreeRTOS within the MCUXpresso IDE. 

Once again, any help/pointers is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1 Solution
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Joseph Jean-Jacques,

When you downloas SDK package, please be sure select FreeRTOS system:

pastedImage_3.png

then delete the orignal SDK from your IDE, plug the new one. Thus, you can create new project with FreeRTOS.

Hope it helps,

Have a great day,
TIC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

7 Replies
josephjean-jacq
Contributor III

Thank You @ Alice Yang and Erich Styger. Forgive me, I am new to the embedded software development world. It has finally "clicked" and I understand it now. 

The FreeRTOS demo that I was trying to use was a demo I grabbed from the FreeRTOS site. It was created for the K60 platform using the IAR IDE. I was going to take that demo and see if I could get it working on the K65. As Erich explained, there is no need to do that since MCUXpresso has a SDK builder where I can create a SDK that is specifically catered to the K65 with FreeRTOS included. From there you import the SDK into the MCUXpresso IDE and you can create a new project based off of this SDK , that is immediately ready and able to compile/run on the K65 development board. 

I have done exactly this. I also didn't realize there was a plethora of examples that came with the SDK that I can use as a starting point, based on my specific needs. 

Once again, Thank you very much for your help Erich and Alice!  

0 Kudos
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Joseph Jean-Jacques,

When you downloas SDK package, please be sure select FreeRTOS system:

pastedImage_3.png

then delete the orignal SDK from your IDE, plug the new one. Thus, you can create new project with FreeRTOS.

Hope it helps,

Have a great day,
TIC

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

josephjean-jacq
Contributor III

Thank You @Alice Yang. 

I was able to follow your steps to recreate a SDK for my MCU properly and select FreeRTOS as an OS in the New Project Wizard. 

It seems I am running into another slightly related problem. The FreeRTOS demo I am trying to import into MCUXpresso IDE was created via IAR. I did some browsing on this forum and I saw someone mention they used an IAR plugin. I installed one myself, but then realized I also needed the IAR IDE to be installed on my computer to use the IAR plugin (for importing IAR projects into MCUXpresso IDE). It seems I may have to "re-write" the demo in my new project by re-writing all the appropriate C files in the source folder of the project directory......I was wondering if there are any guides out there for someone trying to "re-write" a project that they can't normally import into the IDE (due to the project being written by a different, incompatible IDE)?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Joseph,

I think this is the same problem: In the SDK builder for your SDK, make sure you select your toolchain. I think you selected IAR. Make sure you select MCUXrpresso IDE:

pastedImage_1.png

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos
josephjean-jacq
Contributor III

Hi Erich,

Thanks for the response. I did go back to the MCUXpresso SDK builder site and accessed my dashboard. Based on the information presented on my SDK, I did create it with MCUXpresso IDE selected as the tool chain. I think the issue I am dealing is more similar to what was discussed in the following threads: Migraton from IAR project to LPCXpresso IDE 

https://community.nxp.com/thread/389088 

Unless I am going about the process incorrectly in terms of importing a project ( more specifically a FreeRTOS demo app created via IAR). 

Any help again is greatly appreciated!

- Joseph 

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Joseph,

I don't think that this is an IAR porting thing: if you select the MCUXpresso IDE with FreeRTOS, then the SDK and examples already are setup correctly (no porting needed).

Make sure you have it present in your configuration:

pastedImage_1.png

Then you will have FreeRTOS listed:

pastedImage_2.png

I hope this helps,

Erich

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Joseph,

I'm afraid there is no method directly open IAR project on MCUXpresso.

What about your project ? If it is  a SDK demo project , you can directly open it based on MCUXpresso IDE SDK.

If it is not a SDK demo , recommend you create a new project on MCUXpresso , then copy&paste application code

from IAR to MCUXpresso IDE.

Hope it helps,

Have a great day,
TIC