Running i.MX RT1050 from external SDRAM using serial downloader without JLinkScript

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running i.MX RT1050 from external SDRAM using serial downloader without JLinkScript

Anonymous
Deactivated User

Hi

I want to start my i.MX RT1050 firmware using dedicated PC application using serial downloader and USB cable. I allready made such an application using QT framework and it works very well. The problem is I want to use external SDRAM memory.

I successfully run example from NXP SDK choosing Import SDK example -> demo_apps -> hello_world then checking "link application to RAM" and its done

Linker tells that program lended in SDRAM

Memory region         Used Size  Region Size  %age Used
     BOARD_FLASH:          0 GB        64 MB      0.00%
     BOARD_SDRAM:       24260 B        30 MB      0.08%
   NCACHE_REGION:          0 GB         2 MB      0.00%
        SRAM_DTC:          0 GB       128 KB      0.00%
        SRAM_ITC:          0 GB       128 KB      0.00%
         SRAM_OC:          0 GB       256 KB      0.00%
Finished building target: evkbimxrt1050a_hello_world.axf

JLink server confirms that the data went to SDRAM memory

Downloading 15812 bytes @ address 0x80000000 - Verified OK

Program run and works, debuging also works.

But it stops working when I turn off JLinkScript from debug menu (path ${SDK_SCRIPTS}/evkbimxrt1050_sdram_init.jlinkscript)

I want to use serial downloader every time my firmware starts and I would like to move SDRAM initialization to DCD section so I dont need JLinkScripts but I failed to. Is there any shortcut? An working example of this kind of configuration? I failed to find such in SDK examples. I find configuring this kind of setup difficult since depending on what I start with I have to modify DCD section or linker script and potential failures are hard to debug and fix.

0 Kudos
1 Reply

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello dajq,

The following document may be of help to achieve what you want.

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-RT-Knowledge-Base/I-MX-RT-How-to-booting-to-SDRAM/ta-p/1125054

In this case, since you want to load the application to SDRAM, you would need to first use a bootloader that will copy the application to SDRAM, task that’s currently being performed by the JLinkScrip.

I hope that this information helps!

Regards,
Gustavo

0 Kudos