Running MCUXpresso on Apple M1 silicon with Segger J-Link debugger ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running MCUXpresso on Apple M1 silicon with Segger J-Link debugger ?

EdOfTheMountain
Contributor III

Is anyone doing this?

Or running in an ARM VM on Apple M1?

Thanks in advance for your feedback,

-Ed

Tags (2)
7 Replies

EdOfTheMountain
Contributor III

I just bought the new M1 Pro MacBook Pro. I have been using Macs professionally forever, and I also have a Win10 box at work.

Things that work just fine out of the box: TI Code Composer Studio, NXP MCUXpresso, SiLabs Simplicity Studio 5, Kicad, ghdl. These are all built for macOS, so it's not a surprise that they work.

STMCube had issues installing on Intel Macs and I don't use those parts, anyway, so I don't know whether it's been improved recently.

But basically if you do ARM firmware development with gcc and a Segger debug pod, it works.

https://www.reddit.com/r/embedded/comments/qyxkba/anyone_using_a_m1_macbook_for_embedded_dev_is_it/h...

I wish I had an M1 to test building and deploy to a target for NXP RT 1170 connected by USB to an M1 host as either a CMIS-DAP or a Segger J-Link device.  I think either device should work.  I would expect the MXUxpresso IDE to run.

EdOfTheMountain
Contributor III

It is important to state that you cannot run a Windows Intel x86 (32-bit or 64-bit) virtual machine (VM) when your host is running on a M1 ARM machine. 

For example, with Parallels or VMware virtualization installed on a M1, you can only run VMs that support ARM, such as Ubuntu or Windows on ARM versions.  Not all Windows software applications have been released with versions supporting Windows on ARM.

0 Kudos

ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

I'm not an expert on this, but to my understanding it would require the IDE/tools (compiler/etc) compiled/ported for the Apple M1. To my knowledge, this is not yet supported.

Erich

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi EdOfTheMountain 

Officially the NXP MCUXpresso IDE only allow you to use it for our officially supported NXP silicon. Normally this is the same for all silicon companies.

Technically, you could if you are expert on eclipse platform. But we can't provide support.

Thanks

Jun Zhang

0 Kudos

ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Hi @ZhangJennie,

FYI: To my understanding, the question was if the tools (IDE, etc) run on a host with Apple M1 silicon, not if the tools can be used to build binaries for it.

Erich

0 Kudos

EdOfTheMountain
Contributor III

Both.

1) Can MCUxpresso IDE open a NXP RT 1170 project on M1?

2) Can MCUXpresso IDE compile and deploy a NXP RT1170 project to a connected RT 1170 device?

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

MCUXpresso IDE supports RT1170 but on below platform officially

• Host operating systems:
    • Ubuntu 18.04 LTS / 20.04.2 LTS
    • MacOS 10.15 Catalina, 11.x Big Sur, 12.x Monterey
    • Microsoft® Windows 10 & 11

I never tested and ran the IDE on Apple M1. 

0 Kudos