Retaining memory and peripheral view settings

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retaining memory and peripheral view settings

scottm
Senior Contributor II

Is there a way to have the memory monitor view settings preserved between debug sessions?  It's tedious to go back and add the views I need each time I restart.  This is particularly true of peripheral register renderers.  If you're working with the DMA peripheral, for example, you might want to keep an eye on one TCD's registers, but every time you start debugging you have to go back to Peripherals+, scroll down to DMA and check it, then go to the memory view, expand 'DMA', and scroll back to the TCD you were working on.

You can add expressions to look at specific registers, of course, but that doesn't give you any register decoding.  CodeWarrior doesn't seem to have this issue.

Can those settings be saved?  Is there a way to load them through scripting?  I'd be *really* nice to be able to choose specific registers - there are dozens under 'DMA' and it'd be nice to be able to pin just a few in the view.

Thanks,

Scott

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Sorry - I'm afraid that currently there is no way to preserve the settings of these views between debug sessions. It is something we do intend to look at for a future release though.

With regards to displaying only certain registers - it is possible to do a level of filtering in the Peripheral Register display (within the Memory view).  For more details, please see MCUXpresso IDE v10.2 User Guide, section 11.7.1, "Peripheral Filters".

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

0 Kudos

scottm
Senior Contributor II

Ah, didn't know about that.  The filter definitely helps, but without the settings being retained, it's still extra steps to do each time.

Is there any way to reset the target and stop after the reset vector fetch without having to stop the session and lose settings?  In cases where I just need to run through things again and maybe change some breakpoints, it'd be faster if I didn't have to set up all of my views again.

On a related topic, If I could make a feature request, it'd be really nice to have a key binding that restores the editor windows as they were at the start of the last debug session.  The reason for this is that every time I start a session I get a new source window that says "Break at address... with no debug information available" (apparently it's a known bug), and in the course of tracing through something I'll also sometimes wind up with many files open.  I don't want them all to close automatically (not as the default option anyway) because sometimes I'll have stepped through to a point where I need to make a change and I don't want to lose my place.  The rest of the time, I just want it back the way it was without having to close a dozen windows.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos