cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project without SDK in MCUExpresso

miroslavmartise
Contributor I

Hello,

I have been interested in Kinetis MCUs for many years. In my opinion these micros are very well designed, but little bit more complicated to use (in comparison with PIC24 family), so I like MCUExpresso as well as appropriate SDK due to simplification of development cycle.

However, DSK is very memory-consuming and generates relatively slowly code.

Also, is there any convenient possibility to develop any application in MCUExpresso without SDK? Simply said: choose a MCU, include CMSIS and start-up files and after that start to program. Mentioned way works perfectly in Attolic Studio amd STM32.

Surely, I can perform MCUXpresso IDE empty project, but in preinstalled MCUs there is not a single one from Kinetis family. OK, I can use generic Cortex and type it manually, but is very discomfortable...

Thank you very much for your replies.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

miroslavmartise
Contributor I

Hello Erich,

thank you very much for your reply. Yesterday I did it, how you have written, but there is still a problem with size of code. Namely, I created a "clean" project regarding FRDM-KL25Z board, without any high-level driver etc. After a compilation I got in .text section about 2548 B and in .bss about 2364 B (printf and similar functions were deleted, of course :-)). In my opinion I will have to modify a start-up file to achieve smaller size, ehm?

At home I have got several samples of KL05Z family MCUs, which are not included in SDK. How to solve this situation in MCUXpresso?

Kind regards,

Miroslav Martisek

0 Kudos

Alialerwi
Contributor I

CAN YOU PLEASE share how you did it i want to do the same for imxrt1064?

0 Kudos

danielchen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Miroslav Martisek

For KL05Z, you can download the sample code for Frdm-kl05z from below link.  Currently no KL05Z support in SDK or MCUxpresso IDE.

FRDM-KL05Z Sample Code Package 

Regards

Daniel

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

If you create a new project withi MCUXpresso for a given target, then it is exactly what you are asking for: a linker file, the startup code, the CMSIS files. These are exactly the files you will find in the SDK. So yes, you need to download that SDK, and you could extract the files from the zip file. Or drag&drop the zip into the IDE Installed SDKs view and you can get them extracted using the quickstart 'create new project from it'. The purpose of the SDK is to provide you extra examples and drivers, but if you don't want or need them, you don't have to use them. The other part which comes with the SDK is all the things for the launch configurations and flash programming: here again, you could technically create them from scratch too, but I have found it easier just to start with such an 'empty' SDK project which everything setup for me.

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos