Project and repository naming

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project and repository naming

scottm
Senior Contributor II

I seem to have no end of trouble trying to get projects and repositories structured and named like I want. I'm hoping someone can set me straight on what exactly I'm doing wrong.

My general organization structure is that I have each project in its own folder:

s:\projects\someproject
s:\projects\anotherproject

These top-level project folders are not the MCUX projects - they include everything for the project, including non-code stuff like marketing materials, user manuals, CAD/CAM files, and so on. These go into standardized folders, like \cad, \eda, and (most importantly for this discussion) \code.

The problem I'm having right now is that the Git Repositories view shows the folder name and not the repository name - so every project that complies with this layout shows up as code [master]. I can rename the branch but not the repository.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it really that unusual to have a folder name that doesn't match the project name? Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
3 Replies

ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Hi Scott,

after thinking more about it, I think I see what you mean (like in my screenshot with using 'git' as label as I have named my folders 'git' too. So in your case it would show up as 'code' as you have the repository in there.

I don't think there is an easy way around it, except you would name your folders differently of course.

Erich

0 Kudos

ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Hi Scott,

could you share a screenshot showing what you mean?

The project explorer view shows the project name which does not have to be the same as the folder name, plus the git repository and branch. See below the relationships:

ErichS_0-1626246242720.png

The git repositories view shows the git repos as they are on disk, with the name of the folder, as shown below:

ErichS_1-1626246348951.png

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos

scottm
Senior Contributor II

It's really the Git Repositories view I'm concerned with:

scottm_0-1626283011579.png

All of my projects are going to end up being called 'code' in this view when I'm done organizing them. I can still tell which project is which based on the location, it's just kind of an annoying quirk.

Scott

0 Kudos