MCXpressoIDE 10.3 FreeRTOS plug-in gone?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCXpressoIDE 10.3 FreeRTOS plug-in gone?

Jump to solution
robertoquilez
Contributor III

FreeRTOS plug-ins have disappeared from my MCXpressoIDE (10.3) on mac.

There is no longer "FreeRTOS" menu on the main bar (File/Edit/Navigate/Search/Project/ConfigTools/Run/Window/Help)

When I go to Window/ShowView/Other  there is no any FreeRTOS option.

Is there a way to install freertos TAD back?

In general, I have the feeling that this last version of the IDE is less stable than the previous ones 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

We have managed to replicate this on one machine, but not on several others. We are continuing to investigate, but our current thought is that this is some strange permissions problem.

Can you please try the following and see if this helps?

Make sure the IDE is not running. Then open up a Filer window onto your Applications folder.

Now right click on the "MCUXpressoIDE_10.3.0_2200" directory and select the "Get Info" option.

Open up the "Sharing and Permissions:" entry in the info dialog, and use the "+" button to give the account you are logged in with Read & Write permission.

Then use the wheel drop down and select the "Apply to enclosed items ..." option

pastedImage_1.png

Now close the "Get info" dialog, and restart the IDE again.

Do you now see the FreeRTOS menu?

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

View solution in original post

16 Replies
lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Thanks for confirming that changing the permissions on the install folder got things working for you.

Note that the internal structure of the IDE for v10.3 is very different to the structure used for earlier releases - and the permissions problem is probably something within the install, rather than the top level directory itself.  The interesting question that we are still trying to find the answer to though, is why this issue doesn't appear to affect all Macs!

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

0 Kudos
lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

We have managed to replicate this on one machine, but not on several others. We are continuing to investigate, but our current thought is that this is some strange permissions problem.

Can you please try the following and see if this helps?

Make sure the IDE is not running. Then open up a Filer window onto your Applications folder.

Now right click on the "MCUXpressoIDE_10.3.0_2200" directory and select the "Get Info" option.

Open up the "Sharing and Permissions:" entry in the info dialog, and use the "+" button to give the account you are logged in with Read & Write permission.

Then use the wheel drop down and select the "Apply to enclosed items ..." option

pastedImage_1.png

Now close the "Get info" dialog, and restart the IDE again.

Do you now see the FreeRTOS menu?

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

robertoquilez
Contributor III

Yes! It's there.

Thank you very much for your support!

PS: Meanwhile I have been using MCUXpresso 10.2.1.0 where I had no problem with the FreeRTOS plugin. The  permissions for this 10.2 installation folder are the same that the ones I previously had with 10.3. 

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Roberto,

whch perspective are you using? The FreeRTOS menu only appears by default in the develop or debug perspective, but not in the normal C/C++ one. So make sure you are in the correct perspective:

pastedImage_1.png

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos
robertoquilez
Contributor III

Hi Erich,

Thank you very much for your prompt response (and you inspiring work on MCU on Eclipse | Everything on Eclipse, Microcontrollers and Software ).

I am using the "default develop" perspective. I have switched to "debug" and then reset both (dev and debug) perspectives but FreeRTOS is still missing.

Screenshot 2019-02-01 at 12.10.51.pngScreenshot 2019-02-01 at 12.10.18.png

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Roberto,

thank you :-).

Not sure why the menu does not show up. A few things to check:

Menu Help > Install New software, then click on 'What is already installed', you should have it present here:

pastedImage_1.png

is this the case? If not, I have to check other things...

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos
robertoquilez
Contributor III

Yes it is there.

Screenshot 2019-02-01 at 14.57.58.png

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Next check:

menu Window > Perspectives > Customize Perspective:

pastedImage_1.png

Erich

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

And another one: what if you open up a new workspace?

0 Kudos
robertoquilez
Contributor III

Screenshot 2019-02-01 at 15.51.08.png

Still not there.

I switched to a new workspace and nothing changes.

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I'm not sure, but maybe there is something obvious I'm missing and maybe Mac specific.

Can you open the views with Window > Show Views?

pastedImage_1.png

Erich

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

As another data point: that thing had been reported earlier in https://community.nxp.com/thread/481036 . Could you share your workspace metadata\.log file?

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

And could you check if you have that file present?

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
robertoquilez
Contributor III

There is no folder FreeRTOS in "Window > Show Views".

Yes, the jar file is there.

You can find enclosed the log file.

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Thanks for the log file. It does not show anything interesting for the FreeRTOS plugin.

But it shows:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.p2.metadata.repository 4 1002 2019-02-01 16:06:49.977
!MESSAGE Unable to read repository at http://freescale.com/lgfiles/updates/Eclipse/.
!STACK 0
java.io.IOException: http://freescale.com/lgfiles/updates/Eclipse/ is not a valid repository location.

Have you configured this as a repository? Better you remove/disable it:

pastedImage_5.png

But I don't think  this is really the cause of your problem.

The other thing I see is that you are starting Eclipse with the -keyring option (which honestly I have never seen/noticed, maybe Mac specific)?

Command-line arguments:  -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86_64 -keyring /Users/roberto/.eclipse_keyring

What I suggest is to launch Eclipse with the -clean argument: this will re-search for all plugins, and maybe fixes your problem?

As a last resort: you might have to install the IDE again (this is really the last resort). But it would be good if you could keep a copy/backup of your installation, in case anyone from the IDE team has some more ideas what to check or ways to find out what is not working here.

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos
robertoquilez
Contributor III

Thank you for your response.

Well, I have downloaded again the MCUXpresso 10.3.0.2200 pkg. After a new install the FreeRTOS tab on the main bar menu is still missing.

What is more, we have tried on another computer from a colleague (mac as well) with the same result (missing  FreeRTOS plugin menu).

We are both using MacOS mojave version 10.14.2

PS: I don't know if it might be related but I remember that one day the IDE "lost" the SDK 2.5 installation I have already done (keeping the 2.4.2). I had to install it back.

0 Kudos