cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCUxpresso hangs when launching debug or build

Jump to solution
davenadler
Senior Contributor I

Launching debug, I see in the status line "Launching xxx JLink Debug s%" forever.
This is the exact same problem as: https://community.nxp.com/t5/MCUXpresso-IDE/MCUX-10-2-1-Debug-launch-freezes-at-2-for-about-a-minute...

Rebooting and trying a build,I get the same behavior then the IDE becomes non-responsive.

This started after a Windows 10 crash during a debug session.
Possibly the debug session left something lying about???

MCUXpresso version 11.3

Any idea how to unsnarl this?
Thanks!

davenadler_0-1617898904917.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution
davenadler
Senior Contributor I

Thanks @ErichStyger and @converse for the suggestions.
This was weird - it always hung at the "map" resource as pictured.
A 'clean' succeeded, but then the build failed again as above.
After a number of reboots and trying assorted things,
I deleted the entire "Debug" output directory,
after which build and debug proceeded as normal.

Aaarrrggggg....
Back to work now!
Best Regards, Dave

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
davenadler
Senior Contributor I

Thanks @ErichStyger and @converse for the suggestions.
This was weird - it always hung at the "map" resource as pictured.
A 'clean' succeeded, but then the build failed again as above.
After a number of reboots and trying assorted things,
I deleted the entire "Debug" output directory,
after which build and debug proceeded as normal.

Aaarrrggggg....
Back to work now!
Best Regards, Dave

0 Kudos
ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Hi Dave,

I call deleting the output folder a 'clean-clean'. The reason is that with auto-make it is kind of incremental: if the make files an information is screwed up somehow, it might be stuck. In that case a 'clean-clean' will help.

Erich

0 Kudos
ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Hi Dave,

a few ideas (which you might already tried, not sure), so just providing some ideas:

- does it happen for a fresh workspace for that project too? Could be that there is a lot of history information in that workspace, so a fresh one might help

- I have found https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=387202 (rather old) which could be related: could you try to empty your recycle bin to see if this has an impact? On Windows clean as well your c:\users\<user>\AppData\LocalTemp folder

- does it happen if you do a clean first too? Or if you delete the output folder (debug?) first? I'm wondering if this is an issue with the autobuild getting stuck with the amount of your files and directories somehow.

- does the console view give any information where it is stuck: the screenshot shows a (linker) map file, so I'm wondering if this is at the end of the build?

- are you using internal or external builder? Switching might change things?

ErichS_0-1617945116708.png

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Which MCU part do you used?

How build and debug a simple demo?

BR

Alice

0 Kudos
davenadler
Senior Contributor I

@Alice_Yang- Because this happens with a build, and not just debug, it is clearly an Eclipse issue, and not related to MCU used (K64F). A "simple demo" is not in the frame; this is a very large commercial application with ~175k lines, not ""hello world", some of us are (trying to) do actual work...

0 Kudos
converse
Senior Contributor V

This sounds like an issue with the Indexer (the thing that parses your source files and gives you things like auto-complete and finding references etc). You may try switching it off (to confirm it is this causing the problem) and (once confirmed), playing with the configuration to try to improve the speed.

See Preferences->C/C++->Indexer

0 Kudos