MCUXpressor unusable...

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCUXpressor unusable...

JBM
Contributor IV

Am I the only one that finds MCUXpresso pretty much unusable?  It's currently taking ~50% of my four CPUs (running in a Windows 7 VM) and about 25% of 16 GB of RAM.  

It takes minutes to refresh the workspace during which the title bar says "not responding" when I try to do something.

As soon as I click two folders in a project to exlude them from the build, it starts refreshing the workspace again.  It never appears to exclude the folders from the build (they aren't grayed out like they use to be).

This is 11.4.0.  I upgraded from 11.0.0 because it was very slow.   KDS on the same system works fine.  Anti-virus is off.

Any ideas on how to make it usable?  Are there things I can turn off?

0 Kudos
9 Replies

converse
Senior Contributor V

I have been running MCUXpresso in a VM for 3 years, and never had a problem. 
How much Ram have you assigned to the VM? I have 8Gb in mine. Otherwise, take a look at Task Manager, look at all processes and see which ones are hogging the CPU, and report back here.

0 Kudos

JBM
Contributor IV

I have 16 GB or RAM and four processors assigned to the VM.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

JBM
Contributor IV

I have 16 GB or RAM and four processors assigned to the VM.

0 Kudos

ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Compared to KDS it is using a different Java, but not sure if this is the problem.

I guess it is somehow your VM: have you tried it natively without VM already?

Or it could be the amount of memory the VM makes available to the system: Can you monitor the amount of heap used by Eclipse (see https://mcuoneclipse.com/2013/11/04/show-heap-status-in-eclipse/ )?

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos

JBM
Contributor IV

Heap status says 114M of 256M.  It seems to be mostly a processor issue and I think it's aggrevated by the constant refreshing of the workspace.  

The project has a vendor supplied library that has a ton of HTML and a few sample programs in directories in the project.  In the past, I would just exclude those directories from the build process and everything worked fine.  Now (11.4.0) it doesn't appear to work and the refreshing is killing it.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

converse
Senior Contributor V

It sounds like it might be the indexer. Try disabling the indexer completely to see if that improves matters, then re-enable it just for you code.

0 Kudos

JBM
Contributor IV

That didn't seem to matter.

Can anyone verify that resources/folders excluded from the build are grayed out?  That's how it was with 11.0.0 (and KDS), but I'm not seeing that now.  

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Can anyone verify that resources/folders excluded from the build are grayed out?

Things have changed in latest Eclipse. It depends if the folder is on the root of the project or not. See below: the ones marked are excluded:

ErichS_0-1626966778414.png

On the top level the 'blue C' is not present in the Icon Decorator. On the lower levels the folder is grayed out and strike-through.

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos

JBM
Contributor IV

Interesting.  In 11.4.0 installed on my system, the directories are not in the root and they are not grayed out and there is no strikethrough.

0 Kudos