MCUXpresso debug freezing, program still works?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCUXpresso debug freezing, program still works?

mmclaughlin
Contributor I

Started working with a new FRDM-K64F dev board that I bought off of Digikey and was having issues with it resetting every 30 seconds or so. After some trouble shooting, found out there was some conflict between Windows 10 and the bootloader that came with it. Following the steps here: DAPLink bootloader update | Mbed I was able to fix the resetting issue. I also installed the recommended interface firmware application here: DAPLink bootloader update | Mbed .

After all of that, I was able to run some of demo programs, well sort of.

The IDE becomes unresponsive during the debugging step, with "Connection Sequence 55%" and "launching frdm64f..... Debug 97%"

After closing the IDE and power cycling the dev board, I can tell the programs are working on the dev board (example bubble works), however I can't use the debugger as is.

What could be causing the IDE to crash and is there any more information that I can provide to assist with this bug?

Running Windows 10 Home

MCUXpresso IDE v11.0.1 [Build 2563] [2019-09-01]

MCUXpresso CPU usage between 65-99%

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

First, please attach the contents of "gdb traces" and "debug messages" consoles. Moreover, please confirm that you're using the "blue bug" to start the debug session.

Greetings,
MCUXpresso IDE Support

0 Kudos

mmclaughlin
Contributor I

Thank you for the reply!

As of this morning (2019/12/09) I haven't been able to reproduce the same error. I do remember using the "green debugger" last time and may have picked the wrong option, which may have caused my misery. I'll stick to the blue bug from now on.

For future reference, when you say "debug messages" console, do you refer to the "Debugger Console" and similarly, for "gdb traces" do you mean "Trace Control"?

Also, is there a way to have the above mentioned messages write to a file, so in situations where the IDE freezes, I would have access to them?

0 Kudos

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Good to hear that you no longer see the initially reported issues. The following screenshot illustrates how to reach the two consoles I mentioned. You'll have to manually copy their contents to some files.

pastedImage_1.png

Greetings,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

0 Kudos