cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCUXpresso Makefile and Subdir.mk

yonhona
Contributor II

Hi,

I working on a large makefile project, using MCUXpresso IDE.

My project source tree is pretty complex and contain many sub directories.

The IDE generates main makefile for each build configuration and additional subdir.mk file for each directory.

Since the makefiles are in the source control, I have to track all of this files (both makefile and subdir.mk for each directory). Is there a way to include all the sub-directories in a single makefile? I know I can do it if I will edit the makefile manually but I want it to be generated automatically by the IDE.

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies

converse
Senior Contributor V

Makefile and subdir.mk are generated files and therefore should not be under source control, in the same way that object files are not under source control. Can you explain why are you trying?

0 Kudos

yonhona
Contributor II

Hi Con Verse,

We are working in continuous integration. Every new commit to the project's master branch will trigger a new build, automatic tests, etc.

The build server need the makefiles to build the binaries. The build server does not need the object files because they are generated during the build process.

I don't want to install MCUXpresso on the build server.

That's why I have to put the makefiles under source control.

In another project we are running, there is a single makefile (without subdir.mk) and that's make our life simpler.

Do you know how to config MCUXpresso to generate a single makefile, and not additional subdir.mk for each directory in the source directory tree?

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

To my knowledge there is no 'magic' option to create a single make file with Eclipse CDT. Is that other project using Eclipse CDT managed make files too?

You already mentioned the option to have a 'normal' make file project. Another idea would be that as part of your commit you would run a script on your build server which combines the make files (does the textual includes). That way you could have a single make file without user intervention.

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos

yonhona
Contributor II

When using AtmelStudio, a single makefile is generated.

I was looking for a similar way in MCUXpresso.

0 Kudos

converse
Senior Contributor V

"I don't want to install MCUXpresso on the build server."

Why not? Presumably you must have a large proportion of it installed already - compiler, linker, libraries etc. You can run Eclipse in 'headless' mode to build your projects.

0 Kudos

yonhona
Contributor II

Because the build server can only build specific projects - visual studio, makefile, etc.

0 Kudos