Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCUXpresso IDE SWO Trace in LPC55S6X

Jump to solution
tkontogiorgis
Contributor II

Hello,

I am new with the LPCXpresso55S69 board. I read In this post  : LPC55S69 - SWO issues with on board debugger. 

about integrating SWO Tracing in LPC55S6X MCU's.  I currently have the version : MCUXpresso IDE v11.1.1_3241.

Is this  possible to use SWO tracing in LPC55S69 or not? Is there any other way of profiling in LPC55S69?

Thanks in advance,

Theo

1 Solution
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Theo.

I previously used old version of SDK. I just checked the new version already add mcuxpresso ide swo demo code inside. yes, you are right. All the tool (mcuxpresso IDE, iar, mdk ) can support swo demo code.

LPC55 ITM module on hardware, So it supports SWO .

We can set trace divider TRACECLKDIV to set trace clock to other values, for example 12MHz. it's OK.

When you connect the probe, MCUXpresso IDE only detects the valid interface you are currently using. from your screenshot, you are using LPC-Link2 CMSIS-DAP , thus only this interface is shown in the "Probe Discover" window.

Have a nice day,

Jun Zhang

View solution in original post

9 Replies
brendonslade
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

You may find this training video helpful:

https://www.nxp.com/design/training/advanced-debugging-with-mcuxpresso-ide-part-6-swo-trace:TIP-ADVA... 

To use SWO trace on LPC55S69 you need to ensure you have the SWO pin turned on (and set to the SWO function), and also enable the trace clock. This isnt done by default for most of the SDK examples because the examples for drivers only turn on what they need for the example. Its easy to do using the config tools (see the video above).

To use SWO trace/profile with IAR and Keil tools you need to use an external probe or you may be able to use the J-link firmware image option for the on-board LPC-Link2 probe (see IDE vendor documentation for details on that).

0 Kudos
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Theo.

I previously used old version of SDK. I just checked the new version already add mcuxpresso ide swo demo code inside. yes, you are right. All the tool (mcuxpresso IDE, iar, mdk ) can support swo demo code.

LPC55 ITM module on hardware, So it supports SWO .

We can set trace divider TRACECLKDIV to set trace clock to other values, for example 12MHz. it's OK.

When you connect the probe, MCUXpresso IDE only detects the valid interface you are currently using. from your screenshot, you are using LPC-Link2 CMSIS-DAP , thus only this interface is shown in the "Probe Discover" window.

Have a nice day,

Jun Zhang

tkontogiorgis
Contributor II

Hello ZhangJennie‌ and converse

Thank both for responding,

After loading the hello_world_swo project SWO seems to play with LinkServer Probes. It seems i didnt initialize the DebugConsoleSWO or something...

I have one more question,should i use the J-Link debug or not?At the moment i am using LinkServer probe but when i try to run with J-Link it does not recognize. Should i programm it with LPCSCrypt to recognize it and DFU mode on?

Best Regards,

Theo

0 Kudos
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Theo,

SWO feature can not be used without adding SWO supporting code.

Under SDK2.0, there is hello_world_swo demo code. You can run it under MDK and IAR directly.

However the demo doesn't support MCUXpresso IDE yet, you have to refer it to revise your code.

Or use MDK or IAR to test SWO feature directly.

Have a nice day,

Jun Zhang

0 Kudos
tkontogiorgis
Contributor II

Hello ZhangJennie‌,

I am really confused... I loaded to MCUXpresso IDE the hello_world_swo demo code (current SDK version 2.7.1 , 322 2020-02-24) and after running debug mode (with Link Sever Proble) i was succesfully run SWO feature.

1.Is this wrong? Shouldn't this work?

2.Can i use this example to profile my own code?

3. Whats the difference with MDK or IAR? 

4.  Is SWO supporting other frequencies than 12MHz?

HelloSWoProject.png

5. After running Debug this window is shown. I was expecting to see 3 Available probes (SEGGER and P&E also). Why am i seeing only LinkServer? Am i missing something associated with LPCSrypt?

DebugProbes.PNG

Forgive me if my questions are trivial, but i am new with all these stuff and i am really confused.

Best Regards,

Theo

0 Kudos
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Theodoros Kontogiorgis 

This issue has been fixed in MCUXpresso IDE v11.0.0 and later. So that's to say MCUXpresso IDE v11.1.1 already included the fix.

Best Regards,

Jun Zhang

0 Kudos
tkontogiorgis
Contributor II

HI ZhangJennie‌,

Thanks for responding. 

So i am facing an error (i am beginner so probably have misunderstood something) , i am building a simple hello world project with MCUXpresso IDE and after connecting the LPCXpresso55S69 i am running Debug mode. And in one Breakpoint in SW Profile i "enable Profile" and this error occurs:

pastedImage_1.png

What am i missing? Is this maybe related with the Debug Probe mode i have ?

Sincerely,

Theo Kontogiorgis

0 Kudos
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I suggest you refer this discussion which could help you

https://community.nxp.com/message/1197737 

Have a nice day,

Jun Zhang

0 Kudos
converse
Senior Contributor V

Which probe are you using? And which software version is on the probe?

0 Kudos