MCUX v10.0.2 - Bug - Alt+F does not select File menu

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCUX v10.0.2 - Bug - Alt+F does not select File menu

dmarks_ls
Senior Contributor I

Pretty simple... I'm running MCUXpresso 10.0.2 (former KDS user), and when I press Alt+F, the File menu of the main IDE window does not expand.  If I press and hold Alt, I see the "F" in "File" underlined, along with other key letters.  If I press Alt+E, I get the Edit menu.  Alt+S gets the Source menu.  Alt+T gets the Refactor menu, and so forth.  But Alt+F does nothing, which is annoying, because my muscle memory for saving a source file is to hit Alt+F, S.  I realize that Ctrl+S is a shortcut for saving a file, and I've been using it as a workaround, but there's no reason for something as basic as a menu hotkey to be broken.  I've checked Window / Preferences / General / Keys, and Alt+F is not bound to anything.

Curiously, the "FreeRTOS" menu item has no hotkey underlined when I press Alt.  I'm wondering if maybe someone set "F" as its hotkey, but since it conflicts with "File", pressing Alt+F does nothing instead?  That's my only theory.  Please make Alt+F work again, thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

In addition, I wonder maybe I had same experience as David's.

This is how I use hot-key for menu "File":

0. active one of the project related window

1. press Alt, you will see "F" of File is underlined. and the "File" button is pushed.

2. I press key "F" (Note: press "F" but not "ALT+F"), then the File menu gets expand.

How does it works on your side?

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dmarks_ls
Senior Contributor I

That's a very interesting observation, and I can confirm it.  If I am sitting in an editor window, and I press and release Alt, I see the underlines appear on the menu bar.  If I then press and release F, the File menu does open.  But if I just press Alt+F while in an editor, I get nothing popping up.

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi David,

Alt+F *does* work for me (10.0.2):

pastedImage_1.png

Not sure why it does not on your end, can you try with a fresh workspace?

And thanks for pointing out the missing Alt shortcut for FreeRTOS, I have passed that as a wish request to the developer.

And it would not be a problem with multiple Alt+F shortcuts: it will select first the File menu, then the FreeRTOS one, and back again (iterating through the list of same keys).

Thanks,

Erich

0 Kudos

dmarks_ls
Senior Contributor I

Also, that's not true about multiple Alt+F shortcuts.  Once you've opened a menu bar panel, the next Alt+Key press will select the corresponding item within that menu, according to its underline.  For instance, in an editor window, pressing Alt+S, Alt+S will select the Source menu, then select Shift right.  So the developer will have to pick a different letter for FreeRTOS.  (Might I suggest the "O" for OS?)

0 Kudos

dmarks_ls
Senior Contributor I

I do not understand why this message board doesn't default to emailing people when a reply is made to a thread you created.  Grr.

So, I tried what you suggested, and made a new workspace.  I made sure that the copy settings, etc boxes were not checked, so it should be a completely fresh workspace.  Opened the new workspace, pressed Alt+F, and look at that, the File menu opens.  OK... so I then create a new project, just a default TWR-K64F120M SDK project, default name, done.  I open the main source file so I have an editor context open.  I press Alt+F and... nothing.  Now, to ZhangJennie's reply below (which I'll reply to separately), if I press Alt, then press F, I do get the File menu to pop up.  But pressing Alt+F (pressing and holding Alt, then pressing and releasing F) does nothing when I am currently in an editor window context.

0 Kudos