cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCUX 11.0.1 - Incremental build recompiles everything always

Jump to solution
dmarks_ls
Senior Contributor I

So this has started happening to me in just the past week, with one of my longstanding projects, and I have no idea how to diagnose or resolve it.  In the past, whenever I would click the "hammer" button to start a build, it would do an "incremental" build, i.e. it would only rebuild those components which have changed or depend on something that's changed.  But somehow in the last week, it's changed so that every time I start a build, it rebuilds everything, regardless of what's been touched.  If I click build, and it builds successfully, and then click build again without changing a thing, it will rebuild the entire project.  When I click the green bug to run a debug session?  Full rebuild.

Here's what I've done to test this:

1) Delete the contents of [my_project]\Debug.

2) Click the hammer to start a build.  Build completes successfully, all object files are generated.

3) Click the hammer to start a build.  Build starts and every single object file is rebuilt.

It even says it's doing an incremental build:

16:05:12 **** Incremental Build of configuration Debug for project [redacted] ****
make -r -j8 all
Building file: ../xip/evkbimxrt1050_flexspi_nor_config.c
Building file: ../xip/evkbimxrt1050_sdram_ini_dcd.c
Building file: ../xip/fsl_flexspi_nor_boot.c
Building file: ../utilities/fsl_assert.c
Building file: ../utilities/fsl_str.c
Building file: ../usb/osa/usb_osa_freertos.c
Building file: ../usb/host/class/usb_host_audio.c
Building file: ../usb/phy/usb_phy.c
Invoking: MCU C Compiler
[...]‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

What is giving "make" the idea that it suddenly needs to rebuild every file every time?  This is incredibly time consuming.  Thanks.

David R.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
4 Replies
ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V
scottm
Senior Contributor II

Erich, I have lost track of how many beers I owe you if I ever make it to Switzerland. Thank you for yet another solution!

Scott

0 Kudos
ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Hi @scottm ,

keep them counting :-).

Erich

0 Kudos
dmarks_ls
Senior Contributor I

Well spotted, that was exactly it.  I had done an SVN branch merge, and unfortunately it merged in the name of the branch project.  Replaced it with the project folder itself under Refresh Policy, did one more build to sort it out, then tried another build, and "Nothing to be done for 'all'.".  Solved, thanks very much.

0 Kudos