Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Upgraded to MCUXpresso 11.4.0 and Error loading in .mex file

Jump to solution
myke_predko
Senior Contributor III

Hey NXPers,

I just upgraded to MCUXpresso 11.4.0 on Linux and when I try to load a project or use the Wizards, I get the pop up:

Error during opening configuration <ProjectName>/mex:

Communications error.  Check the connectivity to the Internet and repeat again.  

I'm not sure what this means as clearly the Internet connection is fine (or you wouldn't be seeing this).  It's the same for all projects and .mex files.  

I've reverted back to 11.3.1 and things seem to be working fine there.

Comments?

I'm also sharing this with the Kinetis forum.  

1 Solution
liborukropec
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Myke,

I missed the email notification and I saw only the Community announcement, my fault.

I figured NXP would want to know ASAP that there was a problem.

Thank you for reporting it.

... and tell everybody here when it's done.

It is done, data available for Config Tools v10 in IDE 11.4.0

Sorry for any inconvenience,

Libor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
34 Replies
pefusername
Contributor II

@liborukropec  What is the solution to this problem?  I'm currently having the same issue while coworkers on the same network are not.  Are there MCUXpresso configuration items I can compare to others to see what might be different?  Neither of us can get to the website specified in https://mcuxpresso.nxp.com/eclipse/sdk but it appears my coworker's installation does not attempt to make connection before loading the .mex file or perhaps his connection is making it through, but mine isn't.  

0 Kudos
liborukropec
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Paul,

first check should be done in the eclipse log located here: <workspace>/.metadata/.log

If you can post it here, I can do initial investigation where the problem might be. Also if you can provide information whether you use a proxy or not. If yes, whether it require authentication or not.

Regards,

Libor

0 Kudos
pefusername
Contributor II

@liborukropec Thanks for the response.  This problem happens using MCUXpresso 11.3.0, 11.3.1 and 11.5.0.

!ENTRY com.nxp.swtools.kex.api.internal.MfactApiClient 4 0 2022-04-05 13:04:33.310
!MESSAGE [NETWORK] getProcessor - server not available or other error
!STACK 0
javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.Alert.createSSLException(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.fatal(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T13CertificateConsumer.checkServerCerts(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T13CertificateConsumer.onConsumeCertificate(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T13CertificateConsumer.consume(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLHandshake.consume(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.HandshakeContext.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.HandshakeContext.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLTransport.decode(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.decode(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readHandshakeRecord(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.net.www.protocol.https.HttpsClient.afterConnect(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.net.www.protocol.https.AbstractDelegateHttpsURLConnection.connect(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream0(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.net.HttpURLConnection.getResponseCode(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.net.www.protocol.https.HttpsURLConnectionImpl.getResponseCode(Unknown Source)
at com.nxp.swtools.kex.api.internal.HttpHelper.getHttpBinaryResponseWithRedirect(HttpHelper.java:151)
at com.nxp.swtools.kex.api.internal.HttpHelper.getHttpBinaryResponse(HttpHelper.java:94)
at com.nxp.swtools.kex.api.internal.HttpHelper.getHttpBinaryResponse(HttpHelper.java:187)
at com.nxp.swtools.kex.api.internal.HttpHelper.getHttpGetBinaryResponse(HttpHelper.java:200)
at com.nxp.swtools.kex.api.internal.HttpHelper.getHttpGetXmlResponse(HttpHelper.java:75)
at com.nxp.swtools.kex.api.internal.MfactApiClient.getProcessor(MfactApiClient.java:361)
at com.nxp.swtools.provider.processors.KExProcessorsProvider.listProcessor(KExProcessorsProvider.java:389)
at com.nxp.swtools.utils.processors.ProcessorDataUpdateUI.downloadOrUpdateProcessor_IgnoreCurrent(ProcessorDataUpdateUI.java:142)
at com.nxp.swtools.utils.processors.ProcessorDataUpdateUI.downloadOrUpdateAllData(ProcessorDataUpdateUI.java:74)
at com.nxp.swtools.utils.ConfigurationUtils.lambda$4(ConfigurationUtils.java:374)
at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:122)
Caused by: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
at java.base/sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.doBuild(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.engineValidate(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.security.validator.Validator.validate(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.validate(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkTrusted(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkServerTrusted(Unknown Source)
... 29 more
Caused by: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
at java.base/sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilder.build(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilder.engineBuild(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.security.cert.CertPathBuilder.build(Unknown Source)
... 35 more

!ENTRY com.nxp.swtools.utils 4 0 2022-04-05 13:04:33.319
!MESSAGE Error during opening configuration configfile.mex:

Communication error. Check the connectivity to the Internet and repeat again.

0 Kudos
liborukropec
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

you have MITM proxy intercepting SSL communication. If you are on windows, you might put at the very end of this file <MCUXpressoIDE>\ide\mcuxpressoide.ini  this line:

-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStoreType=Windows-ROOT

or specify non secure URL:

-Dcom.nxp.restapi.server=http://mcuxpresso.nxp.com

or ask Networking IT team for adding exception for mcuxpresso.nxp.com

Regards,

Libor

pefusername
Contributor II

Adding   

-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStoreType=Windows-ROOT

to the end of the <MCUXpressoIDE>\ide\mcuxpressoide.ini file worked!

Thank you so much for the help!

0 Kudos
pefusername
Contributor II

My coworker does not have any of these settings defined in their .ini file.  Why would loading the .mex file work for them and not me?  Could there have been configuration information previously installed on their machine?

0 Kudos
liborukropec
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I have no idea

- different proxy settings

- data downloaded from the past?

Libor

myke_predko
Senior Contributor III

@liborukropec 

Can I make another comment for the development team to look at?  

In 11.4.0, the execution buttons ("Resume", "Suspend", "Terminate", "Resume all Debug Sessions", etc.) are always at an "active" visibility.  

In previous versions of MCUXpresso IDE, these buttons would be grayed out which provided a visible indication that the connection is broken and there doesn't seem to any other visual indication that the link is up and working.  

Knowing whether or not you are connected is quite important while debugging as there are situations where the debug connection breaks silently (ie no pop up window for the user) where a brief glance at the execution buttons would give you the state of the connection.  

Please add it to my list of concerns for the latest version.  

ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Hi @myke_predko ,

about

In 11.4.0, the execution buttons ("Resume", "Suspend", "Terminate", "Resume all Debug Sessions", etc.) are always at an "active" visibility.

I don't see this. I'm wondering what could cause this for you. Not sure if this could be host related (I'm on Win10) or if it has something to do with the perspectives or using an (old?) workspace. I think it would be helpful for the engineering team to reproduce this (I cannot) if there would be some details about it. I would try it with a fresh/new workspace (even without projects) if this is the case there as well?

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos
myke_predko
Senior Contributor III

@liborukropec 

I downloaded and installed 11.4.0 again and it seems to work.  I guess I picked up an early version of the build?  The files are different according to "diff" but the build number (6224) is the same.  

I have imported projects as well as created a new one and I'm running an autotest right now so it looks like things work but it's not as seamless as I would expect.  If you're using JLink+, expect to do a firmware upgrade (I haven't tested any other tools).  

Please get answers for the following issues in 11.4.0:

1. When creating a new project why is "SDK_DEBUG_CONSOLE" now set to "1" rather than "0"?  I use the SDK_DEBUG_CONSOLE variable for automatically adding/not adding debug features to my build and it's one more thing that I have to watch when I create a new project.  
  2. Why is the test for "BOARD_FLASH_SIZE" still being inserted in board.c and force a warning?  This appeared in 11.3.1 and I was expecting it to be fixed.  
  3. When I bring up the Pin Wizard, my edit windows from "Develop" show up in the Window (See attached Screenshot)?  This does not happen in the Clock Wizard.  I run with a 4k monitor, so I can tolerate this, but if you were running something significantly smaller, you would be quite severly impacted by this.
lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Myke,

Regarding point #1 from your previous post, SDK_DEBUG_CONSOLE is now set to 1 because of the switch from Semihosting to UART. UART is the default selection starting with MCUXpresso IDE v11.4.0.

Greetings,
MCUXpresso IDE Support

0 Kudos
myke_predko
Senior Contributor III

@lpcxpresso_supp 

Thank you for the reply.  

0 Kudos
liborukropec
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Myke,

Please get answers for the following issues in 11.4.0:

First, I'd not mix answered topic with several other non-related questions, otherwise it could be easily overlooked.

Second, I'd split into two topics - one for 1. and 2., and 3. as a separate topic for Pins tool (Config Tools) 

Third,

When I bring up the Pin Wizard, my edit windows from "Develop" show up in the Window (See attached Screenshot)? This does not happen in the Clock Wizard.

It took me a while to reproduce it also in Clock perspective - in fact in *any* perspective. If the Build is executed, at the end of the "build" the source editors from "Develop" perspective are brought into the current opened perspective. I'll try to forward this issue to the IDE team.

Regards,

Libor

myke_predko
Senior Contributor III

@liborukropec 

Thank you for passing my concerns along.