Is it possible to execute C commands in the MCUXpresso IDE console?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to execute C commands in the MCUXpresso IDE console?

aberger
Contributor V

When debugging a program, is it possible to interactively execute C commands in the console window in MCUXpresso IDE? For example, if I want to perform math operations on variables that have been declared, can this be done in the console?

For comparison, this is possible with Python in the Spyder IDE... you can execute Python code on variables stored in the "Variable Explorer" (or similarly in MATLAB with variables from the "workspace"). Does MCUXpresso IDE have similar capabilities? If not, is this a limitation of the IDE, or of the C programming language itself?

9 Replies

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

As stated above you cannot do this as you describe.

However, you can make use of the low level debugger to perform maths operations on variables in scope during a debug session.  From the console TAB, select the GDB debugger view (this is called arm-none-eabi-gdb).  From here you can perform various operations on variables such as:

info locals
i = 10
j = 10

print i + j
$1 = 20

Help -> Help Contents will return information regarding the use of GDB but this is generally beyond the scope of IDE documentation and support.

Yours,

MXUXpresso Support

scottm
Senior Contributor II

Hmm, this might be a stupid question, but how does one enter gdb commands interactively from the IDE?  I know I've done this before - maybe in CodeWarrior - but I can't seem to get it to take now in MCUX.  I've tried with P&E and LinkServer.

Under 'Debugger Console' I have [GDB PEMicro Interface Debugging] arm-non-eabi-gdb, but nothing displays there and it won't take focus.  The only option is 'Terminate the launch associated to this GDB console'.  Under 'Console' I have pegdbgserver_console, which takes focus and lets me enter things but doesn't respond.  The FreeRTOS TAD console doesn't let me type anything.  RedlinkServer responds to HELP but it's not gdb.  'gdb traces' doesn't respond to anything.

What am I doing wrong?

Scott

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Scott,

for the Debugger Console to accept commands, you have to have a gdb session running:

pastedImage_1.png

Erich

0 Kudos

scottm
Senior Contributor II

Hi Erich,

arm-none-eabi-gdb is definitely running, and it's taking 40% of the CPU time.  I've also got gdb output in the console.  Here's what I see:

pastedImage_1.png

I can enter commands on the left console, but they don't get any responses.  I can't do anything with the debugger console on the right.  What am I doing wrong?

I'm not having a good day so far - I'm trying to step into a function, and if I do it with F5 the target resets and the debugger loses its connection. If I turn on instruction stepping mode I can get into the function and hit F8 and *then* it will run to its breakpoint like it's supposed to.  I'm even using the blue debug button, despite the fact that it takes 4x as long to launch because it makes me choose (twice!) which debug configuration to use each time, and *sometimes* it also makes me select the probe as well.

But one thing at a time.  What's up with the gdb commands?

Scott

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Not sure what happens on your side. But for me it writes to that console some text at startup:

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos

scottm
Senior Contributor II

Ok, I figured that part out - turns out it's the Darkest Dark theme that's breaking the debugger console!  I've submitted a bug report and it sounds like Genuitec has replicated the problem.

I've gotten so used to the theme now that switching to the default hurts my eyes.  I'll be sure to test any other weird issues I run into without the theme, though.

0 Kudos

scottm
Senior Contributor II

Nope, nothing in that console.  I tried resetting the perspective and restarting, and rebooted for good measure, but nothing.  I do get plenty of errors but I don't know if they're related:

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Andy,

I also don't think it's possible.

Besides, for console usage, please check MCUXpresso_IDE_User_Guide.pdf under MCUXpresso IDE install folder.

sector "The Console View"

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

converse
Senior Contributor V

No, you cannot run C commands in the console. C is a compiled language, Python is interpreted - they work in entirely different ways.