ITM console issues in MCUXpresso IDE v11.3.0

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ITM console issues in MCUXpresso IDE v11.3.0

Guy_TCOM
Contributor II

Since I have upgraded to MCUXpresso v11.3.0, I experience a slow en faulty ITM console. Starting the ITM console takes much longer then before and the output is duplicated at many times.

I have tried to move to a new workspace, but the issues are still there. How can I solve this?

16 Replies

diego_charles
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Guy_TCOM  

This issue have been fixed on latest MCUxpresso IDE v11.6.0

See > https://www.nxp.com.cn/docs/en/release-note/MCUXpresso-RN.pdf

Fixed: [SWO][ITM Console] Output is slow and duplicated on
LinkServer.

Many thanks for your report.

Best regards,

Diego

Guy_TCOM
Contributor II

Hello @diego_charles ,

Thank you, I'm done well. I hope you to?

I'm working on a AMD Ryzen 7 3700U machine with Windows 10 (19042.746). And I'm debugging a custom board with a LPC5516 using a LPC Link2.

Guy

0 Kudos

diego_charles
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Guy_TCOM 

Thank you.I am doing well too!

Today I have been doing test using a LPC-link2 and a FRDM-K64F ( I do not have a LPC55xx to test with me)

However, I think that I have reproduced the duplicated outputs that you were mentioning. For example in the image below  you can see that I call PRINTF 3 times, but in the ITM trace console I obtained duplicated outputs , like 6 calls.

itm_console_mcux11_3.png

I think this is what you have been mentioning,  could you confirm?

Many thanks,

Diego

0 Kudos

Guy_TCOM
Contributor II

Hi @diego_charles,

Yes, I have the same kind of output.

Regards,

Guy

0 Kudos

diego_charles
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Guy_TCOM 

I am elaborating a report on this,  looking for further feedback.

My LPC-Link2 debug probe had the CMSIS firmware when  I noticed the double output in the ITM console, Probably yours too?

Could you try to load the J-link firmware to your LPC-Link 2 and report me  the performance?

I have noticed on my machine that the J-Link firmware has the expected performance.

If you require assistance on how to update your LPC-Link firmware please let me know.  Please try to use the latest version of LPCscrypt. https://www.nxp.com/webapp/Download?colCode=LPCScrypt_2.1.2_5-win

Cheers,

Diego

0 Kudos

Guy_TCOM
Contributor II

Hi @diego_charles,

I have loaded the J-Link firmware to my LPC Link 2, I used the CMSIS firmware as you did. I can run a debug session with it, but there is no output in the SWO ITM console. I do see appear some strange characters in the debug console. Maybe a config issue?

Regards,

Guy

0 Kudos

diego_charles
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Guy_TCOM 

We raised an internal ticket to solve the ITM console   delayed and duplicated output                                 in MCUxpresso v. 11.3 using LPC-Link 2 debugger.

Actually, I was using the LPCpresso55s69 Link 2 debugger for my tests. The  LPC-Link 2 and the Link 2 debuggers have different MCUs and firmware.  My apologies for  that confusion.

In the meantime ,   here are some alternatives that you may try:

1 Try using external  PEmicro and J-Link probes. According to the test we have done, the ITM console works as expected with those probes.

2 Use the MCUxpresso 11.2.1 ITM console.

3  Like me , If you have an LPCXpresso55s69/28. You can set a jumper to debug an external target .  Then try the  ITM console.

0 Kudos

danielholala
Senior Contributor II

Dear @diego_charles ,

could you please try the demo app "hello_world_swo" with MCUXpresso IDE 11.4.1 and LPCXpresso55s69/28 demo board using J-Link firmware

I have the LPCXpresso55s28 demo board and SWO does not work at all with MCUXpresso V11.4.1 and Segger J-Link Firmware. 

During a debug session I click on "Change" button in "Trace Config SWO" view. When I try to "Detect" the clock speed, I get "Unable to read clock speed from target". If I set clock speed manually, MCUXpresso IDE gets unresponsive and I have to force quit it.

To exclude other factors, I tried everything on a clean Windows 11 installation, clean MCUXpresso IDE installation V11.4.1 and clean SDK 2.10.1 for LPCXpresso55S28.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

diego_charles
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @danielholala 

Unfortunately I do not have any Windows 11 machine to test with me. We have released MCUXpresso IDE version 11.5.0 with ITM improvements and official Windows 11 support . Could you try to see  if you have issues with this new version?

Many thanks 

Diego.

0 Kudos

danielholala
Senior Contributor II

Hi @diego_charles ,

SWO has improved with V11.5.0 when using LPC-Link2 debug probe (e.g., with LPCXpresso55S28 eval board), see here.

However, for running J-Link firmware on LPCXpresso55S28, the behaviour is unchanged. Tried with Windows 10. Does not detect frequency, "resume data displays" buttons disabled.

0 Kudos

diego_charles
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @danielholala 

We are proceeding to investigate and replicate the issues that you are reporting in your thread in order to possibly  raise a report.

Regarding  see here According to our testing (with previous MCUX versions) to get rid of the errors of duplicated ITM console using please try using PE micro and J-Link probes, if you got one in your workbench of course. According to the info that I got  that issue still have not been resolved with the latest MCUXpresso v11.5

Many thanks for reaching us.

Diego.

Guy_TCOM
Contributor II

Hello @diego_charles,

We don't have PEmicro or J-Link probes available. And swithing back to the previous version of MCUXpresso isn't an option prabably, as I have upgraded the SDK to v2.9.0, that might case issues with the previous version.

I don't have a LPCXpresso55s69/28 available (working on a custom board), but I can try a LPCXpresso54608 or a LPCXpresso812.

Do you a expectation when a update for MCUXpresso will be available, to solve this ITM console issue?

Regards,

Guy

0 Kudos

diego_charles
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Guy_TCOM 

Thank you for your reply. 

I cannot guarantee any date , however  the fix for this  bug is scheduled  for  future IDE releases

As you mention, you can try the  LPCXpresso 54608 , this EVK has a jumper to debug external targets.

Diego.

0 Kudos

Guy_TCOM
Contributor II

Hello @diego_charles,

I just installed en tested the latest release of MCUXpresso (v11.3.1_5262), but the issue isn't solved in this release. Any update on when it will be?

Regards,

Guy

diego_charles
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Guy_TCOM 

Thank you for your comment!

Unfortunately, there is no specific date for this update, but certainly,  is planned for the next releases of the IDE.

Diego

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

diego_charles
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Guy_TCOM 

I hope you are doing well!

Could you let me know the hardware that you are using (debugger and MCU board) and the OS of your machine?

Yours, 

Diego

0 Kudos