Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different memory maps for different configurations

Jump to solution
biafra
Senior Contributor I

Hi everyone,

In MCUXpresso is it possible to have a different memory map for each configuration?

For example I'd want to run the application from address 0 in the debug configuration and from address 0x10000 in the release configuration (using a bootloader).

I can specify different assembler, compiler and linker settings for each configuration, but I'm able to find the same chance in the MCU settings view.

Have anyone some suggestions?

Many thanks

Biafra

1 Solution
lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Fundamentally, no. The memory configuration is associated with the MCU selected for the project, rather than the build configuration settings. We have looked at changing this, but unfortunately it would require a major internal restructuring and is not something we currently plan to do - certainly in the short/medium term.

You do have limited control within project properties though at the build configuration level, in that you can control whether the build is linked to the address of Flash (as detailed in the memory configuration), or if the flash should be ignored - in which case the image is linked to the address of the first RAM bank in the memory configuration.

This control is via the "Link to RAM" option which can be found on the Linker -> Managed Linker Script page of project properties.

But the most flexible solution is probably to use linked projects, as described in https://community.nxp.com/message/773896?commentID=773896#comment-773896 

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

View solution in original post

2 Replies
lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Fundamentally, no. The memory configuration is associated with the MCU selected for the project, rather than the build configuration settings. We have looked at changing this, but unfortunately it would require a major internal restructuring and is not something we currently plan to do - certainly in the short/medium term.

You do have limited control within project properties though at the build configuration level, in that you can control whether the build is linked to the address of Flash (as detailed in the memory configuration), or if the flash should be ignored - in which case the image is linked to the address of the first RAM bank in the memory configuration.

This control is via the "Link to RAM" option which can be found on the Linker -> Managed Linker Script page of project properties.

But the most flexible solution is probably to use linked projects, as described in https://community.nxp.com/message/773896?commentID=773896#comment-773896 

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

biafra
Senior Contributor I

Hi,

I will try your suggestion.

Many thanks

Biafra