Debugging with MCUXpresso on Ubuntu is very unstable with iMXRT1170 EVK

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debugging with MCUXpresso on Ubuntu is very unstable with iMXRT1170 EVK

erling
Contributor III

My experience with MCUXpresso on Ubuntu systems is really really bad. I have tested:
Ubuntu 18.04, Ubuntu 20.04
MCUXpresso 11.4.1, 11.5.0 and 11.5.1

All of them are crashing and freezing now and then. Every time I am using MCUXpresso I always at some point have to kill the application (and java) because it has frozen and is unresponsive. Moreover, all of them fail at programming my NXP iMXRT1170 EVK around 30% of the tries. Attached are some examples of the error messages that pops up when I try to program my board.

I have a couple of comments:

1. Are anyone else out there using MCUXpresso with Ubuntu 20.04 and experiencing no problems?
2. Could this be an issue with the NXP iMXRT1170 EVK? I have tried both the on-board debugger and an MCU-Link Pro.
3. How is the experience on Windows 10? I might be able to run Windows 10 on a

0 Kudos
8 Replies

erling
Contributor III

A common sight:

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi erling 

first please test your board on a win10 computer, make sure the HW setting is correct.

MCUXpresso IDE 11.5.1 was tested Ubuntu 18.04 LTS / 20.04.2 LTS. If you met problem, please follow attahced install guide 

1.4 Linux

3. Appendix A – Linux Installation

Thanks,

Jun Zhang

0 Kudos

erling
Contributor III

1. I have tested with a Virtual Win10 machine and the problem persists. This seems to be a bug related specifically to the iMXRT1170 EVK. I have tried both using a MCU Link Pro and using the debugger on the EVK. Both are equally buggy.

2. The install guide you attached provides no aditional information. I have followed those steps when I installed MCUXpresso.

3. This problem has persisted on MCUXpress 11.4.1 11.5.0  and 11.5.1. I have reported it multiple times and gotten no proper feedback. I have sent crash reports but with no follow-up.

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi

I suggest you test your board on a true win10 machine instead a virtual one. test it with both on board firmware and external MCU-Link probe. when use MCU-Link, make sure you have driver installed. It's must.

Thus we can identify the problem on chip itself or debug firmware.

if the board has been never connected, and you wonder the board has quality issue, you can check

https://www.nxp.com/support/sample-and-buy/buy-from-nxp/dev-tool-warranty-return-request-form:WTB_DT...

Have a nice day,

Jun Zhang

0 Kudos

erling
Contributor III

I dont have a "true win10 machine". Ubuntu 20.04 has official support from NXP so this issue should be investigated regardless. An obviously the board has already been connected, I am sending you lots of screenshots of errors when I am programming it. Dont you have any procedures for addressing bugs? I have been posting about this since February

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

On our side, both windows and ubuntu can communicate the board without issue.

I asked you to test on a win10 platform because this error message can't define the problem on HW or SW side. it only tells that the code can't be downloaded to Flash. Most of the cases are due to board side. but also some are caused by workspace or debug configuration error or certain project configuration is corrupt. 

That's why I suggest you testing the board on a windows computer to identify if the board is in good condition.

0 Kudos

erling
Contributor III

1. If this is a problem related to by workspace/debug configuration, then it seems very unlikely that it should persist when running it on a virtual Win10 machine with a fresh install of MCUXpresso and an example project?

2. I have tried multiple NXP iMXRT1170 EVK and also a Dev-kit from a third party vendor. All experience the same issue.

So therefore, I ask you again, please address this issue. I will gladly send you all kinds of crash reports etc (and I already have but I will do it again).

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

As I said with your error message, we can't identify the problem on board side or PC side because this is a board and PC communication problem.

Now you don't want test your your board, can you confirm your board and board setting has no issue?

I can't reproduce your problem, there is no problem connecting iMXRT1170 EVK with Ubuntu 18.04  if you follow the right install process in MCUXpresso_IDE_Installation_Guide.pdf.

0 Kudos