表示  限定  | 次の代わりに検索 
もしかして: 

Brand New FRDM-K64F failing...

ソリューションへジャンプ
3,191件の閲覧回数
robertpoor
Senior Contributor I

I've plugged in my brand new FRDM-K64F.

I've installed MCUXpresso SDK, IDE, Config Tools and (windows) serial driver.

I've compiled the "hello world" demo.

But when I click on 'debug', I get:

pastedImage_1.png

One thing to note: I noticed the USB device "bouncing" every 20 seconds or so: it would play the audible alert for "disconnecting" and then "connecting" a USB device.

Consequently, I tried the following:

- Rebooted my Windows 10 box

- Plugged the FRDM-K64F directly into the computer's USB (not via a port expander)

- Swapped USB cables

... but none of those made a difference.  (I did plug in my ancient KL25Z and it came up without any problems.)

Since all of my other USB device have been behaving, I'm suspecting a faulty FRDM-K64F.  Are there any other things I can try before I return the board?  And if it *is* a faulty board, what's the protocol for exchanging it?  (I purchased it from DigiKey.)

Thanks.

0 件の賞賛
1 解決策
3,077件の閲覧回数
robertpoor
Senior Contributor I

Solved: the FRDM K64F evidently was shipped with an outdated bootloader.

To fix it, I first went to the DAPLink site, where it said:

While holding down the boards reset button, connect the boards USB debug port to the computer. It should enumerate and mount as BOOTLOADER or MAINTENANCE. For boards that enumerate as BOOTLOADER see our blog to determine if an update for the DAPLink bootloader is available.

... and yes, my board enumerated as "BOOTLOADER" rather than "MAINTENANCE", indicating that it had an outdated bootloader.

Following the instructions on the DAPLink site was easy enough, and when it was done, my FRDM K64F enumerated properly and -- best of all -- could communicate with MCPXpresso.

元の投稿で解決策を見る

0 件の賞賛
6 返答(返信)
1,858件の閲覧回数
rjm
Contributor IV

I encountered another problem. Contrary to the NXP webinar (Advanced Debugging with MCUXpresso IDE) regarding this kit I was coping with failure to restart the debugger after having exited a debugger session before: MCUXpresso failed to recognize the (onboard) DAPlink debug probe. Every time I had to unplug the USB connection.

Then I have been looking for firmware status. Then I quickly found following website: https://www.nxp.com/design/software/development-software/sensor-toolbox-sensor-development-ecosystem...

Long story short: here, a quite old rev0244 is presented as "Latest firmware application". After applying this binary, my reset state USB drive was no longer named "BOOTLOADER" but instead "MAINTENANCE". Oh....

It did not work at all in MCUXpresso.

Then I was eager to check out where to get the latest revision. On github DAPlink, I could clone the current state (rev0257) but that makes no sense for me, because no binary files seems to be included. Via a web search with the search term "daplink nxp", this page was shown: https://os.mbed.com/platforms/FRDM-K64F/

The section "Debug Interface Firmware Update" provides a link to https://daplink.io/?board=FRDM-K64F, which allows a binary download of rev0254. After having flashed the binary, the debug session in MCUXpresso can be terminated an restarted without unplugging the USB cable. It works like a charm. This also means that the version on my K64F board on delivery (bought two weeks ago directly from NXP) has not been rev0254 but likely an older version.

@nxp: Please, please either remove the page with the outdated binary links, or update this page or let it point to the web page which offered me rev0254.

0 件の賞賛
1,857件の閲覧回数
ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Long story short: here, a quite old rev0244 is presented as "Latest firmware application". After applying this binary, my reset state USB drive was no longer named "BOOTLOADER" but instead "MAINTENANCE". Oh....

If it reports as BOOTLOADER or MAINTENANCE, then the board is running in bootloader mode: you will need to load the debug application on top of it. BOOTLOADER is from the older bootloader firmware, MAINTENANCE is from the newer one.

Additionally, the older bootloaders are subject of a Win10 device enumeration problem, so you would need an updated bootloader anyway. I even released a patched version with an extra timeout to workaround some reset issues: https://mcuoneclipse.com/2017/10/29/adding-a-delay-to-the-arm-daplink-bootloader/

That patched bootloader has been installed on all our boards, and that one worked fine.

Erich

0 件の賞賛
3,078件の閲覧回数
robertpoor
Senior Contributor I

Solved: the FRDM K64F evidently was shipped with an outdated bootloader.

To fix it, I first went to the DAPLink site, where it said:

While holding down the boards reset button, connect the boards USB debug port to the computer. It should enumerate and mount as BOOTLOADER or MAINTENANCE. For boards that enumerate as BOOTLOADER see our blog to determine if an update for the DAPLink bootloader is available.

... and yes, my board enumerated as "BOOTLOADER" rather than "MAINTENANCE", indicating that it had an outdated bootloader.

Following the instructions on the DAPLink site was easy enough, and when it was done, my FRDM K64F enumerated properly and -- best of all -- could communicate with MCPXpresso.

0 件の賞賛
3,077件の閲覧回数
Sabina_Bruce
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Robert,

Hope you are doing well.

It is odd, that out of the box you are getting these errors. I would suggest to try different cables and different ports on your laptop just in case. In addition if you have an external debugger you may try connecting through with it. 

Here are some articles that recommend different solutions when the board is bricked.

Bricking and Recovering OpenSDA Boards in Windows 8 and 10 | MCU on Eclipse 

Bricking and Recovering FRDM-KL25Z Boards: Reset, SWD Clock and Low Power | MCU on Eclipse 

If you are still not able to work with it you would have to contact DigiKey for assistance in exchanging the board.

Best Regards,

Sabina

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

0 件の賞賛
3,077件の閲覧回数
robertpoor
Senior Contributor I

Sabina:

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I would suggest to try different cables and different ports on your laptop just in case.

You may have missed this in my original post, but I've done that:

Consequently, I tried the following:

- Rebooted my Windows 10 box

- Plugged the FRDM-K64F directly into the computer's USB (not via a port expander)

- Swapped USB cables

... but none of those made a difference.  (I did plug in my ancient KL25Z and it came up without any problems.)

As for de-bricking the unit, I'm a big fan of Erich's blog.  I don't believe this unit is bricked in the way that the referenced article implies -- I could be wrong.  Instead, I believe there's a problem with the USB hardware itself since the unit continually connects and disconnects.  Looking at the system log, it appears that it may be drawing excessive current and causing the USB port to disconnect.

So I have contacted DigiKey about exchanging the unit.

Thanks for the help.

0 件の賞賛
3,076件の閲覧回数
robertpoor
Senior Contributor I

UPDATE: I now suspect something's wrong with my Windows10 environment.  I have acquired a second brand-new FRDMK64F and it displays exactly the same problem:

Upon plugging it in, Windows plays the little "USB detected" three note song and displays MBED (D:) on the desktop.  After roughly 30 seconds, it plays the "USB disconnected" song, the MBED (D:) window vanishes, and about two seconds later, it reconnects and repeats the process.  At the same time, the Device Manager lists the "mbed Composite Device" under Universal Bus Controllers, and "mbed Serial Port (COM30)" under Ports, but it gets refreshed every time the board disconnects.

I have unplugged ALL other USB devices from the computer (an Intel NUC) except for the audio device and have rebooted windows.

I don't know how relevant this is, but when I connect the board to Tera Term, the green LED flickers when I type characters at it.

One additional data point: in the MBED (D:) folder, there is a text document named "fail" that contains the single word "TIMEOUT".  I don't know if that was there previously.

So I'm at a loss as to what to do next.  I'd very much like to start developing on this board.  Suggestions welcome.

0 件の賞賛