Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run Thread border router scenario on FRDM-KW41Z

Jump to solution
sterenn
Contributor II

Hello,

I am going through the proposed demos for thread in the Kinetis Thread Stack Demo Applications User Guide, and I am in need of a thread border router. However, I see no such example in my downloaded SDK. The Thread examples I have are the following : end_device, host_controlled_device, low_power_end_device, router_eligible_device (and same for OTAP).

I also read something about host-controlled interface that can fullfill the role of border router, but I don't know how to do it.

Thank you,

0 Kudos
1 Solution
sterenn
Contributor II

Hello again, 

I downloaded the USB-KW41Z software and flashed it to the FRDM-KW41Z board. I had to struggle somehow with the FRDM-KW41Z bootloader mode (this document saved me), but finally succeeded in updating the OpenSDA port and loading the border_router scenario on the board. 

During this process, several installations of drivers were performed (J-Link, mbedWinSerial, lpc drivers). However, I still cannot see the desired "NXP RNDIS router" in my device manager as expected when following the Kinetis Thread Stack Demo Applications User's Guide, Chap.11, Border router scenarios. 

So, I still got the same question : is it supposed to work on FRDM-KW41Z or should I stop now ? 

Thank you, 

Sterenn

UPDATE : Should stop now and use USB-KW41Z software for USB-KW41Z only.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
estephania_mart
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

The border router software it's available for the USB-KW41, you can download this software in the MCUXpresso SDK Builder

Best Regards, 

Estephania

0 Kudos
sterenn
Contributor II

Hello again, 

I downloaded the USB-KW41Z software and flashed it to the FRDM-KW41Z board. I had to struggle somehow with the FRDM-KW41Z bootloader mode (this document saved me), but finally succeeded in updating the OpenSDA port and loading the border_router scenario on the board. 

During this process, several installations of drivers were performed (J-Link, mbedWinSerial, lpc drivers). However, I still cannot see the desired "NXP RNDIS router" in my device manager as expected when following the Kinetis Thread Stack Demo Applications User's Guide, Chap.11, Border router scenarios. 

So, I still got the same question : is it supposed to work on FRDM-KW41Z or should I stop now ? 

Thank you, 

Sterenn

UPDATE : Should stop now and use USB-KW41Z software for USB-KW41Z only.

0 Kudos
sterenn
Contributor II

Hello, thank you for your answer. 

My problem is, that I don't have the USB-KW41 device, so I'm affraid it's border software won't work well on my FRDM-KW41Z devices. Is it possible for me to run a special FRDM-KW41Z scenario that would allow me to have it behave as border router ?

0 Kudos