MCUXpresso vocabulary : MCG, SCG ... ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCUXpresso vocabulary : MCG, SCG ... ?

Anonymous
Deactivated User

I have a question. What MCG SCG ? I tried FEI but then FLL despite PLL although IREFS and BLPE ?

Did you understand my question?  Doesn't look like English?  In MCUXpresso Config Guide all those terms are not "translated" into a plain English. They are used with confidence as if they are part of English vocabulary. There is no Abbreviations list. I tried to search for exact meaning (skip my guesses) of MCG and SCG "words" in other NXP documents such as MCUXpresso User Guide and also MCUXpresso Quick Start guide but those use these words as if they are well known by English reader...  Did those individuals who wrote those document assume they are using English language ( or if you have a problem just open a Merriam–Webster...)?

Can somebody decrypt at least these two :MCG and SCG ? Or better yet point me to a place where all the abbreviations used in MCUXpresso Config Guide are explained in plain English?

Labels (1)
8 Replies

liborukropec
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

yes, it is expected in that document that user is aware about low level technical details. In short:

MCG (Multipurpose Clock Generator) - quite well described here µTasker MCG Configuration Support 

SCG (System Clock Generator)
PCC (Peripheral Clock Control)

Regards,

Libor

0 Kudos

Anonymous
Deactivated User

Libor, please suggest for the benefits of all who come to use Kinetis MCUs, the basic NXP documents titles where those users reach the entry level as you say been "expected" to understand all the often repeated abbreviations.

0 Kudos

Petr_H
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Vladimir, 

Whenever you need more details on description of clocking elements and how they work, I recommend to search it in the reference manual or datasheet for your MCU. 

We'll try to make the abbreviations more accessible in the future versions for the tool.

best regards

Petr Hradsky

0 Kudos

Anonymous
Deactivated User

Indeed, one of the first stops I did on my way to decrypt abbreviated names in MCUXpresso documents was to check out datasheet of the MCU I have chosen: K64P144M120SF5 found on NXP site https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/K64P144M120SF5.pdf 

No luck - none of the modules names I needed to decrypt where explained there. Even MCG module was not decrypted even though a whole chapter dedicated to it in the datasheet..... so how many other documents the user suppose to read in order to understand, say MCU datasheet? Or MCUXpressor config tool manual?

Now you understand the subject of my original post?

0 Kudos

Anonymous
Deactivated User

Please elaborate what is this "expectation" based on? I want to know what reading did I miss before opening the MCUXpresso documents. Even MCU datasheet did not explain those terms!   Is it expected that everyone who start reading MCUXpresso documents had already studied µTasker MCG Configuration Support  ??? Is it the Prime Document to understand the rest of documentations on the subject?   You still failed to point to where other abbreviations get decrypted for the user... how does it support the notion of the "should be expected" ?

0 Kudos

liborukropec
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

I did not say, that the expectation is correct. I meant the opposite. uTasker was just one page where I think it is quite well described, that's why I put it here for you; nothing more, nothing less.

Probably there are other better sources if information - I'll leave a space for other community users.

For example here is some other information - even it is for HCS08, the general information would be the same: https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN3499.pdf 

For Kinetis see Clock diagram - e.g. here http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/app_note/AN4503.pdf 

Regards,

Libor

Anonymous
Deactivated User

I am sorry, I misunderstand your message' intent . Your provided links are indeed helpful in decrypting the abbreviations although they are from loosely related manuals. Is it possible to let NXP administration know that it would be good to have their user manuals readable by English readers using normal English language ? To do that usually a list of abbreviations is used or even better - usage of the terms is explained in short sentences.

0 Kudos

liborukropec
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

I'll forward this to the team, either to improve the tools doc or provide some more up-to-date links in this community.

Regards,

Libor

0 Kudos