MCUXpresso 10.3.1 on Ubuntu 20.04 issues (For HoverGames development)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCUXpresso 10.3.1 on Ubuntu 20.04 issues (For HoverGames development)

Landon_Haugh
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi all,

I have been working on checking the compatibility of MCUXpresso 10.3.1 in Ubuntu 20.04 for HoverGames development on the RDDRONE-FMUK66. I understand that MCUXpresso only supports Ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04 currently (especially MCUXpresso 10.3.1), but in case there is software that relies on Ubuntu 20.04 in the future (such as new ROS versions, etc), I figured I'd see if I could get it working and I wanted to share some of my findings.

MCUXpresso works in Ubuntu 20.04 but there are dependencies missing that are present in 18.04 but not 20.04. These dependencies include:

libncurses5 (and libncurses5-i386)

libusb-1.0-0-dev

dfu-util

libwebkitgtk-1.0-0 is required, and it depends on a few other packages as well. The packages are outlined below:

libjavascriptcoregtk-1.0-0 (not found in default Ubuntu repos)

libegl1-mesa

libenchant1c2a

libicu60 (not found in default Ubuntu repos)

All of these dependencies can be installed by running:

sudo apt install libncurses5 libncurses5-i386 libusb-1.0-0-dev dfu-util libegl1-mesa libenchant1c2a

Note that libwebkitgtk-1.0-0, libjavascriptcoregtk-1.0-0, and libicu60 are not included in the command above since they are not present in the default Ubuntu repos. You must download these packages and install them using dpkg.

The links to these packages are:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archive/primary/+files/libwebkitgtk-1.0-0_2.4.11-3ubuntu3_amd64.deb

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archive/primary/+files/libjavascriptcoregtk-1.0-0_2.4.11-3ubuntu3_amd6...

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/i/icu/libicu60_60.2-3ubuntu3_amd64.deb

libjavascriptcoregtk-1.0-0 depends on libicu60, and libwebkitgtk-1.0-0 depends on both, so the three packages must be installed in this order:

sudo dpkg -i libicu60 (press tab to autocomplete filename)

sudo apt install -f

sudo dpkg -i libjavascriptcoregtk (press tab to autocomplete filename)

sudo apt install -f

sudo dpkg -i libwebkitgtk (press tab to autocomplete filename)

sudo apt install -f

After all of these dependencies are installed, you can install MCUXpresso 10.3.1 normally on Ubuntu 20.04.

If you follow the guide for installing MCUXpresso on http://nxp.gitbook.io, everything works until you get to the portion that tells you to set up a debug configuration. After attempting to set up a debug configuration using the debug setup tool, no debug session is started. When checking the JLink debug configuration in Debug > Debug Configurations by clicking on GDB SEGGER Interface Debugging, a Java NullPointerExcpetion occurs, and no stack trace is outlined in the details dropdown. I have attached an image showing this error.

pastedImage_2.png

I am not sure how to continue from this point. There may be some dependency missing that I do not know about, but I'm not sure how to tell which one it is since there's no stack trace when the error occurs.

Labels (1)
2 Replies

converse
Senior Contributor V

If the Details>> button does not show the stack trace, look in the log file - <workspace>/.metadata/log

0 Kudos

myke_predko
Senior Contributor III

Hi Landon,

Thank you for the pointers - I'm using Ubuntu for code development as well, but I was going to wait for July 17th when 20.04 is scheduled to be automagically installed - I have tried to install it on other machines and found it didn't work so smoothly with the apps I normally run under 18.04.  Now, maybe I'll hold off until the various issues are resolved.  

Have you reviewed this post: Installing MCUXpressoIDE on Ubuntu 19.04?  I'm wondering if the install process you are using doesn't include the libraries listed there.  

Other than that, I would expect that NXP engineers will be following up with you and I suggest you put in a bug report to Segger: Segger-Technical Support.  

Let me know if you have any questions or would like me to try something but, as I said, my first impression of 20.04 wasn't great so I think I'm sticking where I am right now.

Good luck and keep us posted,

myke

0 Kudos