Is it possible to get a homemade board to work with MCUXpresso?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to get a homemade board to work with MCUXpresso?

Jump to solution
christian_gross
Contributor II

Hello,

Well as the topic states, Is it possible to get a homemade board designed around a chip like LPC51U68, to work with MCUXpresso IDE?

Best regards,

Christian.

Labels (1)
1 Solution
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Christian,

Yes, I would look at that board as a reference design. Personally I would stick with a JTAG/SWD connector and use an external debug probe for a custom board because this reduces design complexity and BOM cost. As for an application note on embedding the LPC-Link on your own board: I have not seen something like this when I searched for it, but maybe someone else is aware of it and can respond.

I hope this helps,

Erich

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Christian

If the board is designed by you, we can use MCUxpresso IDE connect it, but we must use it supported target interface.

Our recommendation is LPC-Link2, see:

https://www.nxp.com/support/developer-resources/microcontrollers-developer-resources/lpc-microcontro... 

Have a great day,
Jun Zhang

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
christian_gross
Contributor II

Thank you for the answer.

So it is not possible to connect my own design board to MCUXpresso via USB like boards from NXP?

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Christian,

it depend what you mean: if this is about debugging, you need some kind of debug probe. So if you have added the JTAG/SWD debug header to your own board, with the help of a debug probe you can use it with the MCUXpresso IDE. All what you need is to use an external debug probe, e.g. a LPC-Link2, a SEGGER J-Link or P&E Multilink. Or you could add/embedd say the LPC-Link2 debug circuit to your board too.

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos
christian_gross
Contributor II

Hello Erich, thank you for the answer.

I have the LPC-Link 2 board, so that is one way, adding the JTAG/SWD debug connector too my board. But it would also be nice to have the LPC-Link2 debug circuit.

I am building a board around the LPC51U68 MCU, so if I wanted to add LPC-Link2 debug circuit, would it be correct to have a look at the LPCXPRESSO LPC51U68 EVAL BRD? Are there any app notes on embbeding LPC-Lind2 debug circuits?

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Christian,

Yes, I would look at that board as a reference design. Personally I would stick with a JTAG/SWD connector and use an external debug probe for a custom board because this reduces design complexity and BOM cost. As for an application note on embedding the LPC-Link on your own board: I have not seen something like this when I searched for it, but maybe someone else is aware of it and can respond.

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos
christian_gross
Contributor II

Thank you very much for the answers, it helps a lot!

/Christian