Is it normal that MCUXpresso IDE v11.1.1 takes 42 seconds to start?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it normal that MCUXpresso IDE v11.1.1 takes 42 seconds to start?

andreasklockner
Contributor II

I just installed the new MCUXpresso IDE v11.1.1

I was surprised, that it takes a long time (42 seconds) for the IDE to be ready.

- for the first 20 seconds, there is this splash screen and nothing else happens:

pastedImage_1.png

- the next 20 seconds, there is starting action going on with this splash screen. Green progress bar is moving.

pastedImage_2.png

Until now, we worked with an old version of the IDE (LPCXpresso7.9.2), which starts up in 7 seconds.

Do you have a hint for me, how to speed up the start of the new IDE?

PS:

- Win10

- all drives are SSDs

- 1 year old Intel i7 processor

0 Kudos
9 Replies

andreasklockner
Contributor II

Dear all, thanks again for all the answers...

- Our company uses Norton Internet Security on all PCs (also mine), so I think windows defender is not active.

- on my PC, tests with Norton Securty disabled, didn't speed up the start of MCUXpresso

- Here is a cutout of the .metadata/.log:

!SESSION 2020-06-18 08:58:00.478 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=1.8.0_201
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86_64, WS=win32, NL=de_DE
Command-line arguments:  -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86_64 -data D:\work\.....

!ENTRY org.eclipse.jface 2 0 2020-06-18 08:58:29.147
!MESSAGE Keybinding conflicts occurred.  They may interfere with normal accelerator operation.
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.jface 2 0 2020-06-18 08:58:29.147

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see, I startet the workspace at 08:58:00. The next entry is on 08:58:29. This is exactly the duration time of the first "static" splash screen (29 seconds), with nothing else happening. After these 29 seconds, the "second" spash with the "green progress bar" appeared...

BUT:

Yesterday, I went to a colleague of mine and we installed the same MCUXpresso package on his PC (which is also protected by same Norton Internet Security).

Result: startup is as fast as the LPCXpresso7.9.2.!

The first "static" splash screen (which last more than 20 seconds on my PC) was nearly not recognizable at all on his PC.

So I think, the problems are completely on my site / my PC. I will check this out....

Once again, thank you all for the good suggestions and replies.

0 Kudos

andreasklockner
Contributor II

Unfortunately, I have the same behavior with a deactivated Firewall/AntiVir. Also with or without LAN-connector plugged into my PC.

0 Kudos

converse
Senior Contributor V

"But I just recognized, that the duration of the "first splash screen" reduces significantly, if I restart the MCUXpresso again and again. After the (let's say) fifth start, it's only shown for about 1 second."

Almost certainly this is due to you antivirus s/w. Which one are you using? Are you using Windows Defender as well (having two often causes this sort of issue).

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I use Norton, don't have this issue. I ever had one customer have similar problem as yours. He used McAfee. I myself don't have McAfee and I don't know if this is a common issue. Just FYI.

0 Kudos

andreasklockner
Contributor II

Dear all,

thanks for your fast answers.... I will check your suggestions and get back soon.

@Erich

Unfortunately, the "work offline" checkbox didn't help.

@Libor

It does happen in all the following cases:

- if I start the MCUXpresso without any path to a workspace (by clicking "MCUXpresso IDE v11.1.1_3241" under Windows->Start.  Duration of "first splash screen: 14 seconds without any action. Then dialog-popup "select a directory for workspace")

- if I start the MCUXpresso with a clean workspace (without any projects in it)

- if I start the MCUXpresso with a workspace with 4 projects

But I just recognized, that the duration of the "first splash screen" reduces significantly, if I restart the MCUXpresso again and again. After the (let's say) fifth start, it's only shown for about 1 second.

I will do some tests without firewall/AntiVirus and get back here.

Best regards, Andy

0 Kudos

liborukropec
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Andy,

if it is reproducible with empty workspace and also with Offline for Config Tools, then I think the MCUXpresso Config Tools are not involved, so someone from IDE team could investigate if it is problem of OS or Eclipse IDE. 

May be could you check your <workspace>/.metadata/.log if there are some errors/problems?

Regards,

Libor

0 Kudos

converse
Senior Contributor V

Its probably your anti-virus software, scanning the executable(s). This will (over time) speed up, as it comes to trust the executable.

0 Kudos

ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

It takes 11 seconds on my 4 year old and slow laptop.

it certainly takes more time after a fresh installation because it scans the installed SDKs (but this is mostly in the background). So not sure what is delaying it in your case.

Maybe it downloads data from a slow internet connection. What you could try is to switch the config tools into offline mode to check if this helps:

pastedImage_1.png

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos

liborukropec
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Erich,

1. I don't believe the download might block the UI, it is done in the background job

2. once downloaded, there's no reason for next IDE run to download it again

Hi Andreas,

does it happen after fresh install with no project in clean workspace? Have you already imported any SDK into the IDE?

Regards,

Libor

0 Kudos