cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDE for iMX8MQ & iMX8QM Processor

sangramsingh
Contributor II

Dear NXP Support Community,

We are working on iMX8 family of processors, the target core of interest is M4 core on which real time application will run over MQX RTOS. I would like to know if anybody in the community used any IDE for the development of the Software for M4 core. I browsed on internet most of the people tried and using IAR and ARM-DS.

But considering the cost of these Dev environments, i would like to know any other tool which and compile and debug M4 core application of iMX8 processor (eg- MCUXpresso IDE).

If anybody in the community has any experience working on iMX8 M4 core processor please guide us in selecting the IDE for the same.

Thanks

Sangram

Labels (1)
5 Replies

CarlosCasillas
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Sangram,

I’m afraid that MCUXpresso IDE is not supported for the Cortex-M4 core of i.MX8 series of processors.

From NXP side, the provided RTOS is FreeRTOS, and is part of the SDK that could be downloaded from the following link:

https://mcuxpresso.nxp.com/en/builder 

As shown on the image below, the supported IDEs for the SDK are IAR and GCC-ARM:

SDK_IDEs.png

Hope this will be useful for you.
Best regards!
/Carlos
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

sangramsingh
Contributor II

Hi CarlosCasillas,

Thanks alot for your response, we decided to go ahead with IAR for evaluating it with iMX8 processor.

One more Query : Does IAR supports M7 core also of iMX8M Plus processor ?

Regards

Sangram

0 Kudos

CarlosCasillas
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Sangram,

In case of IAR, it already includes support for Cortex-M7 processors; right now, you could generate and build the MCUXpresso SDKs for iMX RT and i.MX8M Nano (Cortex-M7 based).

Hope this will be useful for you.
Best regards!
/Carlos
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

sangramsingh
Contributor II

Thanks Carlos,

Yes i can see Cortex-M7 in the supported devices. 

Regards

Sangram

0 Kudos

sangramsingh
Contributor II

Hi Carlos,

We are evaluating ARM-DS for iMX8MQ6 processor, but we are getting lots of error which seems like  compiler specific errors. If you could help in selecting  the right compiler version with ARM-DS that will be a great help in going ahead with the evaluation of this tool. If possible if you can share any reference or experience on this tool with iMX8 processor that will  help us in focusing in right direction.

FYI : we tried with ARM compiler Version 5 and 6 both.

Thanks

Sangram

0 Kudos