Example: LPC54018 iotmodule hello_world_virtual_com_xip is not working

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Example: LPC54018 iotmodule hello_world_virtual_com_xip is not working

larsen
Contributor III

I have LPC54018 IOTmodule (OM40007). When compiling and debugging the example from the SDK: hello_world_virtual_com_xip, the host pc signals an error in usb device attachment (device descriptor request failed) (see dump below).

I also noticed that some code in the file usb_device_config.h is repeated 11 times in the same file (also see below). I tried to remove duplicates but it did not change - which actually makes sense. So the problem of enumeration is not in this particular part, but its an indication that the code has slipped the final QC explaining why the problem has not been identified.

Thanks for any hints why example fails.

br henning

File: usb_device_config.h

code lines duplicated 11 times:

/*!
 * @name Hardware instance define
 * @{
 */
/*! @brief KHCI instance count */
#define USB_DEVICE_CONFIG_KHCI (0U)
/*! @brief EHCI instance count */
#define USB_DEVICE_CONFIG_EHCI (0U)
/*! @brief LPC USB IP3511 FS instance count */
#define USB_DEVICE_CONFIG_LPCIP3511FS (0U)
/*! @brief LPC USB IP3511 HS instance count */
#define USB_DEVICE_CONFIG_LPCIP3511HS (1U)
/*! @brief Device instance count, the sum of KHCI and EHCI instance counts*/
#define USB_DEVICE_CONFIG_NUM \
    (USB_DEVICE_CONFIG_KHCI + USB_DEVICE_CONFIG_EHCI + USB_DEVICE_CONFIG_LPCIP3511FS + USB_DEVICE_CONFIG_LPCIP3511HS)

pastedImage_8.png

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello henning larsen ,

Just want to make sure, have you set JP9 to HS mode as the readme.txt said:

pastedImage_3.png

Have a great day,
TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos

larsen
Contributor III

Hello Alice Yang,

On LPC51018 IOTmodule which I use, there is no JP9. I think the readme.txt relates to another boards SDK (LPCXpresso51018) as it also states explicitly in the readme listed by you.

So the code originated from another devkit's SDK and the readme was not updated. I did however take the copy from the LPC51018 IOTmodule's SDK so it ought to work.

That said I doubt there is any reason it should _not_ work on IOTmodule because this has an onboard USB HS device (and no USB FS device) and the code is setup to use HS. Also, all the other examples relating to VCOM are working on IOTmodule, so there is proof of some code compatibility between the boards (assuming here that the LPCXpresso51018 board was the original host to test these programs.)

So as far as I can tell, it still points in the direction of a QC problem.

br henning

0 Kudos

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Henning,

This time I use the demo under SDK_2.5.0_LPC54018-IoT-Module with LPC54018 IOTmodule (OM40007).

When debug, yes, the same issue with yours, while after disconnect debugger, reconnect the USB again,

it can recognized the Virtual com Port:

pastedImage_1.png

How about on your side?

My PC is Win10 64 bits, what about yours?

Have a great day,
TIC

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos

larsen
Contributor III

I can confirm the behavior: Do not work when running with debugger. Works when running without.

0 Kudos

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello henning larsen,

Yes, if need, I can ask the development team about whether it can work well on debugger mode.

BR

Alice

0 Kudos

larsen
Contributor III

Hi Alice,

Alice_Yang wrote:

Yes, if need, I can ask the development team about whether it can work well on debugger mode.

It has to work under debugger control otherwise it is very difficult to develop code.

br henning

0 Kudos

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello henning larsen,

From development team's feedback, if your PC installed tools about analysize USB , for example Bus Hound,

the driver will conflict. Please use a PC that haven't install it to have a try.  I have test it on other PCs that without Bus Hound, it can work.

Have a great day,
TIC

Note:

0 Kudos

larsen
Contributor III

Hello,

I have not installed other usb tools than usbview https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/usbview.

I have dropped this LPC51018  processor so I am not sure I will do further tests with this.

br henning

0 Kudos

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello henning,

I have reported the debug problem to development team, will tell you after I get reply .ASAP.

sorry for the inconvenient to you.

BR

Alice

0 Kudos

larsen
Contributor III

Yes, I use win10 - 64bit pc as well. However I dont think I have tried connecting without debugger. So basically it has never worked in my setup.

I have another case which I may be reporting later where the use of the clock config tool makes the code break in a similar way - device descriptor request failed. So clock issues can be the cause here - as well as a million other details.

I have moved to another processor now, so the resolution is no more critical for me.

0 Kudos