cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Displaying FreeRTOS Task Information in MCUXpresso Running on Linux

Jump to solution
myke_predko
Senior Contributor III

With the ending of support for Windows 7, I'm moving all my development to Linux and, for the most part, I'm pleased with how well MCUXpresso IDE works under Linux except for providing task debug information for FreeRTOS.  If I run my application under Windows, I get full debug information as you can see here:

2020.02.05 - Windows 7 MCUXpresso with Task Information.jpg

But I can't get any in Linux (I'm running under Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS) - is it not set up or do I need to enable this capability?  

2020.02.05 - Linux MCUXpresso with NO Task Information.jpg

These are the same projects running under the two different systems.  

Thanx,

myke

0 Kudos
1 Solution
myke_predko
Senior Contributor III

I've discovered how to get the task-aware debugging information on MCUXpresso IDE running under Linux.  

To get to the selection window, click on the MCUXpresso's "WIndows" drop down and then click on "Show View".  In "Show View", click on "Other" and then in the "Show View" window that comes up click on "MCUXpresso IDE FreeRTOS" and select what you want to see:

2020.03.12 - LInux FreeRTOS Debug 'Show View'.jpeg

This is the same/different to Windows where the debugger information works the same, but seems to come up automatically for Windows.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
myke_predko
Senior Contributor III

I've discovered how to get the task-aware debugging information on MCUXpresso IDE running under Linux.  

To get to the selection window, click on the MCUXpresso's "WIndows" drop down and then click on "Show View".  In "Show View", click on "Other" and then in the "Show View" window that comes up click on "MCUXpresso IDE FreeRTOS" and select what you want to see:

2020.03.12 - LInux FreeRTOS Debug 'Show View'.jpeg

This is the same/different to Windows where the debugger information works the same, but seems to come up automatically for Windows.  

0 Kudos
myke_predko
Senior Contributor III

Anybody on the MCUXpresso IDE team available to answer this question?  

I just spent a day on Linux trying to understand a hardfail on the MK22 and even updated the "semihost_hardfail.c" file provided in the project using the information provided the excellent articles by Erich on the subject (hard fault | Search Results | MCU on Eclipse ).  I couldn't get any useful information other than a hardfault was happening.  

Then I moved the project to a Windows system and the hardfault's PC was displayed with symbolic information, allowing me to see where the error occured with variable information so I could figure out the error basically immediately.  

I really would like to see these capabilities on Linux rather than feeling like I have to move to Windows10.  

Thanx,

myke

0 Kudos
ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Hi myke,

I notice that you might not have turned on the following option in the J-Link configuration?

pastedImage_1.png

And you can open the views with:

pastedImage_2.png

I hope this helps,

Erich

myke_predko
Senior Contributor III

Hi Erich,

I did not have that flag set, but it didn't make any difference in how MCUXpresso IDE on Linux works.  

Can I ask a question?  From your screenshot, it looks like you are running on Windows 10.  Are you running under Linux and does this work there?  

myke

0 Kudos