cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatibility of a Freedom K22F debugger with a target K60 MCU

acharya_satishb
Contributor I

Hello,

Is there a known compatibility issue with using a Freedom K22F board’s OpenSDA to debug a custom K60 board as target? The way Freedom board’s OpenSDA has been advertised, it looks like it is supposed to work with or debug any Kinetis based target board.

Essentially, I’m trying to debug a custom K60 based board using a Freedom Board as debugger frontend along with OpenSDA. When I use Freedom K64F board as a debugger frontend with its OpenSDA/bootloader/etc and MCUXpresso IDE, I can make the debugger stop at the 1st line of main() program running on K60 and it works fine.  However, when I use Freedom K22F board as a debugger with its OpenSDA/bootloader/etc and MCUXpresso IDE, I get errors both using K60F Flash or K60 SRAM for application. When I try to link application to SRAM and debug, the error is “HW execution break may only be set below x20000000”. This is an issue since SRAM region's address starts at x20000000. When I try to use K60’s Flash and debug, the error is “vendor chip initialization failed – Ep(08). Cannot access core regs when target running.” Looks like there flash burning incompatibility.

We bought 2 K22F boards for debugging since K22F has newer version of OpenSDA than K64F. We didn’t find any compatibility issues when we searched through NXP community discussions before purchasing.   

Does anyone have any simple suggestions/experiments I can try to get Freedom K22F debugger work with a K60 board?

Thanks for your help,

Satish

0 Kudos
2 Replies

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

It all depends on what OpenSDA debug firmware you have loaded on that FRDM-K22F.

Which CMSIS-DAP firmware are you using?

Other than that, I would advise not to use a FRDM board to debug another board if you are serious about your development. You get for a lower price than the FRDM board a NXP LPC-Link2 (LPC-Link2 | NXP ) for $20 which can be used to debug all i.MX RT, NXP and Kinetis Devices. Or get a SEGGER J-Link Mini (J-Link EDU Mini | SEGGER - The Embedded Experts ) for $20 too and then you can use it for all kind of ARM Cortex devices.

If you want to 3D print an enclosure for the LPC-Link2, see Custom 3D Printed Enclosure for NXP LPC-Link2 Debug Probes | MCU on Eclipse 

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos

acharya_satishb
Contributor I

Thank you, Erich. We would look to switch to one of the two debug probes you have mentioned.

Satish

0 Kudos