Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot use SWO Trace function of MCUXpresso IDE

Jump to solution
T2
Contributor III

Hello,

I would like to use the SWO Trace function to debug my code.
However, the following error occurs and it cannot be used.

"Failed to configure the target for SWO - may not be supported on this target."

The working environment is as follows:
 - TWR-KE18F (Target board)
 - LPC-LINK2 (Debug probe)
 - MCUXpresso IDE v11.0.0

The boards are connected as follows:
 PC ⇔(*1) LPC-LINK2 ⇔(*2) TWR-KE18F

*1 USB cable connection
 *2 JTAG connector connection (10pins)
     LPC-LINK2 is connected to J7.
     TWR-KE18F is connected to J10.

With this connection, I can download the program to the target board and supply power.

How can I use the SWO Trace function on this target board?
If the SWO Trace function cannot be used, let me know if there are other similar functions.

Best regards.

Labels (1)
1 Solution
jingpan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Takagi,

This is because your lpc-link2 is using CMSIS-DAP as firmware. SWO cannot be used with other CMSIS-DAP based probes or with LPC-Link2 debug probes using the non default Non Bridged (NB) or Serial (ser) firmware.

Please download LPCScrypt from LPCScrypt v2.1.0 | NXP  and install it. In script directory, type program_JLINK to change LPC-link2 firmware to JLINK.

Regards,

Jing

View solution in original post

2 Replies
lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Despite the above comment, you do not necessarily need to program probe firmware into your LPC-Link2 using LPCScrypt , or to change the firmware from CMSIS-DAP to J-Link. The IDE is capable of booting your probe automatically with our LPC-Link2 CMSIS-DAP firmware that will support SWO. Please see the section "Using and troubleshooting LPC-Link2" in the MCUXpresso IDE v11.0 User Guide for more details.

But that aside, as described in the MCUXpresso IDE v11.0 SWO Trace Guide, the ability to carry out SWO trace requires both the target board to support the use of the SWO pin (such that it is connected from the MCU to the debug header), as well as the target MCU to be potentially configured (pinmux, clocks) such that SWO is possible. I'm not familiar with the TWR-KE18 or the KE18 itself, and don't currently have access to one to check out. But this would be the first thing to check.

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

jingpan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Takagi,

This is because your lpc-link2 is using CMSIS-DAP as firmware. SWO cannot be used with other CMSIS-DAP based probes or with LPC-Link2 debug probes using the non default Non Bridged (NB) or Serial (ser) firmware.

Please download LPCScrypt from LPCScrypt v2.1.0 | NXP  and install it. In script directory, type program_JLINK to change LPC-link2 firmware to JLINK.

Regards,

Jing