MCUXpresso IDE Config Tools Peripherals -- how to fix "unsupported version of the Driver in the toolchain/IDE project"?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCUXpresso IDE Config Tools Peripherals -- how to fix "unsupported version of the Driver in the toolchain/IDE project"?

nsunshine
Contributor II

Hello all,

I'm very new to using MCUXpresso IDE & Config Tools so my apologies in advance if this is a novice question.  I'm trying to explore adding a peripheral support to a FRDM-KW36 project using MCUXpresso IDE Config Tools Peripherals GUI.  I'm trying to start with something simple (seemingly) like an interrupt handler for a GPIO.  When I go to the Peripherals view and Components pane and click on the plus icon next to the "Peripheral drivers" label I get the following error on the tooltip:

nrs_peripherals_gpio_error.JPG

Furthermore, if I ignore it and just click OK, I get a "Problem Occurred" window popup saying " 'UI refresh' has encountered a problem.  An internal error has occurred."  Expected I guess as it warned me about the incompatibility.

My question is, how do I update the driver versions?  It says I need 2.2.1 and I have 2.2.0 for GPIO.  My understanding is that this is tied to my SDK.  I recently downloaded the standard FRDM-KW36 SDK from NXP's website, so I don't understand why it would be incompatible.  In any case, what is the best way to go about updating the drivers where I'm getting those warning icons?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Regards,

Nick 

Labels (1)
9 Replies

Lukas_Heczko
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Nick,

attached please find hotfix with updated KW35 and KW36 data resolving the "UI refresh" error in MCUXpresso Config Tools v6 and MCUXpresso IDE v11.0:

In MCUXpresso IDE v11 you can install it using ConfigTools > Data Manager > Import and in MCUXpresso Config Tools v6 using File > Data Manager > Import. In the import, select the attached hotfix file and desired processors.

Regarding the warning about unsupported driver version, as you mentioned, this is tied to SDK version. The KW35 and KW36 processors are supported by SDK v2.2.0 which is unfortunately not fully supported by Peripherals tool. Specifically, some of the driver versions in SDK v2.2.0 are not fully supported by Peripherals tool components, in case of KW35/KW36 it's following drivers:

FlexCAN: required is 2.2.3 vs 2.2.0 in SDK

GPIO: required 2.2.1 vs. 2.2.0 in SDK

I2C: required 2.0.5 vs. 2.0.3 in SDK

LPTMR: required 2.0.1 vs. 2.0.0 in SDK

LPUART: required 2.2.4 vs. 2.2.3 in SDK

The differences between required and actual driver may not be significant and probably will have no impact on Peripherals tool functionality so you can use it, however, be aware that the combination was not tested. 

Regards,

Lukas

nsunshine
Contributor II

Lukas,

Thank you.  I can confirm the UI error goes away.  I will have to take some further time with the Peripherals tool to ensure things are working correctly, but so far it looks good.

Thanks,

Nick

0 Kudos

nsunshine
Contributor II

Marek,

Thank you for the reply.  Is there a separate step I need to do to update the SDK component versions to get the warning flags to go away?

Thanks,

Nick

0 Kudos

estephania_mart
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

I assume you are using the latest version of the MCUXpresso, maybe you can try using the  MCUXpresso 10.3.1 meanwhile the issue gets solved.

Hope it helps,

Regards,

Estephania

nsunshine
Contributor II

Thank you for the reply.  Yes, I am using MCUXpresso version 11.0.0.  I will try working with an earlier version and see if I have any success.

Edit 1:  I tried version 10.3.1 and unfortunately it says that the processor (MKW36Z512VHT4) is not supported with the Peripherals tool

0 Kudos

estephania_mart
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Will you be using the connectivity stack for the KW36 ? Or will you be using it without the wireless capabilities? What are you trying to use or configure in specific so I can try to help you out with some code snippet ? Is there a specific reason why you want to use the tool to use the peripherals?

There are also son examples in the driver and demo examples meanwhile that you can check if you are looking for something in specific.

Regards,

Estephania

nsunshine
Contributor II

I am not using the wireless capabilities.  When I was just getting started, I was interested in using the Peripherals tool just for simple things like setting up GPIO interrupts.  I will also need to set up SPI.  I've been looking over the SDK examples and I'm fine with them, I was just interested in the tool because it was available and seemed like an easy time-saver where all I'd have to worry about is the peripheral interface, which I expect was the whole motivation for making the tool available.

I'll make due with the SDK examples and merge them into my own code as needed.

Thanks,

Nick

0 Kudos

estephania_mart
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Yes, I believe for now it will be the best way to get your project done while the issue gets resolved and while we wait to check if the KW36 will be in the supported boards for the tool.

Sorry for the inconveniences this might cause you.

Regards,

Estephania

marek_neuzil
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Nick,

Thank you for reporting of this issue. It seems that the problem (the UI exception reported in the MCUXpresso Config Tools) is caused by incorrectly deployed data. We will fix the issue (MCUCM-5569) as soon as possible.

Best Regards,

Marek Neuzil